Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeysteel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
i recently started a course that requires me to use my laptop in order to use internet explorer(IE).......which i hate...not the laptop...internet explorer.

I want to know if there is a program???? or some sort of way that i can get this to work on my mac....wether through firefox or safari.

please help me...my time with my mac is at stake

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Would guess you have an Intel Mac so I would go with emulation of Windows with Parallels or VMWare.

IE for Mac has been officially discontinued a long time ago.

To use the latest IE your going to have to emulate.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
You can also run it via Crossover Office if you have an Intel Mac. That way you don't need an install of Windows and a virtual machine just to get IE going. You can download a trial to see how it works.

joeysteel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
i have a intel core duo, white imac.

I thought about the Parallels option(bootcamp,etc.) but i didnt really wantt o go down that route. I was worried about my RAM,,, i do have 2GB ram.. but i was told that it would still be ever so slow....

if this is the only way..can someone help me understand what applying a Parallel to my mac entails...as i dunno

thanking you:):):):)

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

I thought about the Parallels option(bootcamp,etc.) but i didnt really wantt o go down that route. I was worried about my RAM,,, i do have 2GB ram.. but i was told that it would still be ever so slow....

if this is the only way..can someone help me understand what applying a Parallel to my mac entails...as i dunno

Well I use Fusion, not Parallels, but I have 2 GB RAM and Windows runs just fine beside OS X. 2 GB is more than enough XP. Don't know about Vista, though.

If you mean how to install Parallels or Fusion to run Windows? Well you'll need to buy either Parallels or Fusion, and then a copy of Windows. Install Parallels or Fusion, and then use that to install Windows. That's really all there is to it.

If you can use IE via CrossOver, though, I'd suggest that since that would be a lot less trouble than virtualization.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

The Crossover Office option would take much less ram and be a much smaller installation than Parallels or VMWare (+Windows), and I expect run much smoother too. If you wanted to run other stuff as well I would never bring it up, but if all you want is IE it seems a shame to go the whole VM route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.