Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micart671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Adelaide - Australia
Hello,
Yesterday i installed Ice Clean and ran a few of the maintenance procedures. This morning when i tried starting my laptop, it started with grey screen and apple symbol, then black screen with white text stating;

Mar 13 08:02:44 launchd: can't exec /bin/sh for single user : no such file or directory.

Please help! I tried contacting Ice Clean, they claim it is not related.
I checked my system profile and i thought i had 1gb of RAM it only says 512gb. could a RAM failure cause this problem?

Have started using target disk mode with my old faithful G4 and everything on the hard disk is still intact. Ran disk utility and all ok!

Thanks for your time.
:(

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Somehow you deleted you primary binaries folder (or your shells). The only way to fix it is to reinstall OSX (you don't have to wipe the drive or do an Archive and Install). I would also, check your installed RAM, just to make sure.

TEG

micart671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Adelaide - Australia
Checking RAM

Hi, I've just removed the cover and i have two 512mb cards installed but only one is showing in system profiler. Are there precautions when removing and re-installing?
Thanks for your quick response.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
Hi, I've just removed the cover and i have two 512mb cards installed but only one is showing in system profiler. Are there precautions when removing and re-installing?
Thanks for your quick response.

Just make sure it's powered down, battery's out, and it's unplugged before you pull the RAM.

micart671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Adelaide - Australia
RAM Failure?

Hello, Have checked the RAM, removed and re-installed. Ran the hardware test and it tells me i have one empty slot! Which is not the case, unless i'm seeing double!! So after a quick test apparently there is not a problem with Memory. (I'm guessing it is only recognising the good memory card.)

If i re-install OSX i only have an older version so is an "archive & re-install" O.K. I won't lose any files??

Thanks again, i'm in quite a panic as i have to perform with my laptop tonight!

Regards
Micart

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.