PDA

View Full Version : compilation or original album?

artifex
Nov 1, 2003, 07:12 PM
If we're recommending a favorite song by an artist, and it appears in identical (or nearly) form on both the original album and on a compilation album (or two, or three...), which is the preferred way of listing it in this db?

I've been doing it both ways, depending on if I really like most of the original album itself, or prefer to get people to look at a broader anthology of an artist's work. But this isn't consistent with the idea of using the db to link everything together.

arn
Nov 1, 2003, 10:52 PM
yeah...

I guess I would prefer people link to the original album.

Alternatively, I suppose it could be possible to link different versions of songs togehter somehow.

arn

Jetson
Nov 2, 2003, 10:56 AM
If I notice that a track has been remastered and sounds better on a compilation than the original album, I link to the better sounding version. Of course, if the original album has been remastered that's the best choice.

berkleebassist
Nov 3, 2003, 07:58 PM
Definitely the original album is best if the audio quality is the same/superior. That lets you hear the song in context to the songs that were recorded with it.

SeaFox
Nov 4, 2003, 01:18 AM
I think it would be good to list a track with links to both albums (noting whichever is the original with an asterisk or something) unless the later version has been remastered and sounds different.