Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InIn14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Hello all! I feel for my first post being one asking you all to help me, but alas, that's what it is. Since I purchased my iPhone in July, I've been perusing the internet for a product that would work to play the music on my iPhone through my car speakers. Though I'm sure people have found ways of doing this, I'm not one of those people ha. Here is where you come in -- hopefully.

I drive a 99 Honda Accord, so needless to say, Bluetooth capabilities are not exactly existent short of me installing something (which has uh-oh written all over it). Additionally, there is no direct jack for me to plug in a cord from my iPhone headphone jack to my car. So in short, my only option that I have for getting this to work is something that plugs in through the cigarette lighter and into the bottom of the iPhone. I'm not asking for anything fancy like phone calls to play through my speakers...I don't need any special features or anything like that, just the simple ability to plug in my iPhone and listen to music.

Anyway -- thanks for reading (a task in and of itself, apparently...why do I write such long-winded crap?) and if you help me through my plight here, I will offer you the soul of my first born child.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
I got myself a belkin tunecast auto. Works really well with the iphone. I don't get any messages saying incompatible etc like most have reported about other products and I don't have to turn on airplane mode. It just works really well!!

mat4020

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Zhuhai, China
Hi InIn,

I have a 98 Honda Accord Sedan with factory radio that I got my iPod to work with (I have an iPhone on the way - my brother who live in NYC is sending me a refurb from the at&t store).

I use this to convert from the cd changer plug in the back of the headunit

Then I use something like this to convert the rca plug to a 3.5 mm headphone jack. (You can buy these anywhere - ie walmart)

However, if I'm thinking correctly, that won't work with the iPhone because it has a special headphone jack. (someone correct me if I'm wrong - as I said I dont actually have an iPhone yet)

So, you should be able to use the first product in combination with this to both get music out of the iPhone and charge it. I called P.I.E to make sure, and this will work with the iPhone.

Definitely not the cheapest option, but will give you good sound quality.

sprime1

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
InIn, I recommend the USA Spec interface.

http://usaspec.com/ipod.html

I have this for my 2006 Toyota Tacoma, i got mine 2 years ago for my 3g iPod, and works flawlessly.

It charges your iphone/ipod, and plays music flawlessly. you can even control your ipod with your cd changer controls AS WELL AS the normal ipod controls.

I got an iphone 2 weeks ago, and it works just fine with it as well. When you plug it in, it asks if you want to go into airplane mode, i just say no.

The unit I have, they have the normal ipod adapter interface (where you plug in the cable to the bottom of the ipod) or you can use an RCA interface that goes to the headphone jack (i've never used this, because i like keeping my ipod/iphone charged).

Basically, on your stock stereo head unit, you should have an unused port (usually for a multidisc CD changer). All the necessary cabling should come with the product.

And when you recieve a call, the music automatically softens and you hear your ringtone over the speakers.

I have had all but bad luck with FM transmitters, so I don't recommend them at all. When i listen to music, i hate hearing static at any point in time, so either this will be your best bet, or if you have a cassette deck, you could always buy the cassette adapter with the headphone conversion thing to make it compatable with iphone.

askirkland

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
sprime1 - Do you have an indash 6 disc changer in your Tacoma?

sprime1 -

I have the 2006 Tacoma as well... do you have the in-dash 6 disc changer in your headunit? If so, does the disc changer still work with the adapter plugged in?

Thanks!
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.