PDA

View Full Version : Game performance on the newest 15" MBPs...which to get?

Christian G
Mar 13, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hey,
I'm going to be buying one of the new MBPs someday soon. On the Mac side, I don't really need anything graphically intensive at all. I mainly browse the internet, do mail, type up papers/spreadsheets, and other miscellaneous low key stuff. I do audio recording, but that's not too intensive really. My 12" Powerbook handles everything just fine right now for the most part, it's just falling apart a bit, and is a bit sluggish now on some stuff compared to how fast I could be plugging along with a newer rig.

Anyhow, in this new laptop, I'm looking to do a bit of gaming too, since the Intels can dual boot. I'm looking to play Soldat (http://soldat.pl), which is a really low key but fun little game. There will be no issues playing that. That's a non-issue, really. I also want to play some flight simulators (pretty high end ones) and also maybe an FPS or two.

I don't game at all as it is, and probably won't game ALL that much, so I'm unsure if the extra 500 bucks is worth double the video RAM and the extra .1 GHz. Since I'm basically content at 60 gigs or hard drive space right now, I can't imagine that the 200 gb drive of the cheaper MBP would be insufficient. I'm leaning towards the cheaper, but if there is a really big kick between the graphics card I may spring for it...how noticeable would the difference be in games on Windows?

Thanks!

steveza
Mar 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Tricky question really. Obviously the higher spec graphics card will deliver better performance - will you be able to notice he difference is more to the point. Similar cards are installed on non-Mac laptops so you might find people who play the games you are looking at would know more about their relative performance i.e. have a nose around forums dedicated to the specific game.