Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
If you're looking for 800Mhz RAM for your Macbook or Macbook Pro, there's a good deal on Buy.com

First apply their 5% off coupon.

Then search for "OCZ2M8004GK". Direct link here.

$89.99 - 5% = $85.49
- $20 mail in rebate = $65.49
- $10 Google Checkout = $55.49 shipped!

Attachments

• 206152493.jpg
    206152493.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 123

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wow, that's pretty amazing. This RAM would work with SR (merom) and Penryn macbooks and macbook pros, yes? Thanks for sharing.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hmmm... I read that someone brought some OWC 800Mhz Ram for their Penryn MBP.. they said it didn't work.

Personally i went with Micron (Crucial)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Umm... You don't want no 800 MHz RAM in your Macintosh. The memory bus in all Core2Duo Macs is hardwired at 667 MHz

A number of people have reported that the OCZ RAM does NOT downclock properly to 667 in the Penryn machines and fails. Waste of time and shipping money. Buy.com is not going to refund your shipping when it doesn't work, and may or may not charge restocking fees (as NewEgg does).

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Umm... You don't want no 800 MHz RAM in your Macintosh. The memory bus in all Core2Duo Macs is hardwired at 667 MHz

A number of people have reported that the OCZ RAM does NOT downclock properly to 667 in the Penryn machines and fails. Waste of time and shipping money. Buy.com is not going to refund your shipping when it doesn't work, and may or may not charge restocking fees (as NewEgg does).

x2

Sorry Phungy. Plus, Montevina (the next intel platform) should support DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM, so I wouldn't have jumped on that deal if I were you.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

yikes. thanks. so much for that plan!

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Hmmm... I read that someone brought some OWC 800Mhz Ram for their Penryn MBP.. they said it didn't work.

Personally i went with Micron (Crucial)

Its called DOA; the ram was faulty, not the company. And this isn't OWC, this is OCZ, one of the best ram manufacturers out there.
If it doesn't revert to slower mhz in Penryn, then thats not the ram's fault, thats the BIOS not adjusting it correctly.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Its called DOA; the ram was faulty, not the company. And this isn't OWC, this is OCZ, one of the best ram manufacturers out there.
If it doesn't revert to slower mhz in Penryn, then thats not the ram's fault, thats the BIOS not adjusting it correctly.

So will this RAM work properly with the SR MBs?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

No, IMO it's the SPD's in the RAM not being properly programmed to meet the standard. Several reports on the OCZ was that it worked in the SantaRosa and not in the Penryn - so clearly not a DOA issue. And multiple reports suggest that it is a problem with this (and perhaps other) 800 MHz modules.

But I repeat -- there is absolutely no advantage to 800 MHz RAM in a machine with a 667 MHz memory bus, and there are multiple reports of failure. Why then take the risk when there are guaranteed compatible alternatives?

(PS: Macs do not have BIOS. And you cannot get into EFI to tweak the timings manually)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

I know what DOA is.. and I know it's a different brand.. but if you care to have a read of CanadaRAM's reply.. then you might be more clued as to what I'm talking about....:rolleyes:

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

I'd trust with what CanadaRam has to say. I've dealt with him several times with RAM and have been very happy.

s.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
No, IMO it's the SPD's in the RAM not being properly programmed to meet the standard. Several reports on the OCZ was that it worked in the SantaRosa and not in the Penryn - so clearly not a DOA issue. And multiple reports suggest that it is a problem with this (and perhaps other) 800 MHz modules.

But I repeat -- there is absolutely no advantage to 800 MHz RAM in a machine with a 667 MHz memory bus, and there are multiple reports of failure. Why then take the risk when there are guaranteed compatible alternatives?

(PS: Macs do not have BIOS. And you cannot get into EFI to tweak the timings manually)

The issue is likely with Apple as to why the modules don't properly detect at 667Mhz when both are installed like they should. The SPD on these OCZ is programmed to run at 4-5-5-13 when at only 667Mhz and for whatever reason the newer Penryn MBP's can't do it. The Merom based ones can though as well as I haven't seen issues with PC laptop users running this RAM at 667Mhz. The Santa Rosa platform didn't change between Merom and Penryn but I'd suspect Apple made some small changes that would relate to the memory though.

I have this RAM and have installed it in my new Penryn based MBP and the two modules installed together will not boot. If I just put one of the OCZ modules in with one of the Apple 1GB modules then it will though because the timings default to the slowest module at 5-5-5-15. You can fix this problem though by doing a simple flash of the SPD in Windows. One of the guys at OCZ sent me over the modded SPD and you just use this Windows program to flash each module so that they run at 5-5-5-15.

http://www.techpowerup.com/spdtool/SPDTool_062.zip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.