Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what is the afl-cio?

i have a quicksilver poster (from mwny 2001) up here at my dorm.
i also have the jim henson think different at home, though not up...

and i gave my girlfriend my cube poster. which has appeared in a bunch of my movies and i always hear "what's the significance of the poster?" or something along those lines... it used to be up in my room, so it was in the background...

or. "given the nature of the piece, the apple poster in the back doesn't seem appropriate"... haha.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I have an original iMac poster. I got it when I bought my PowerBook G3 (WallStreet). I told the guy I'd go elsewhere unless he gave me one ;)

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
what is the afl-cio?

The American Federation of Labor--Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) is the voluntary federation of America's unions, representing more than 13 million working women and men nationwide.

The AFL-CIO was formed in 1955 by the merger of the American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations.

http://www.aflcio.org

Even if you are not in a union, you have likely been significantly affected by unions. There was no sick leave, vacation leave, medcial insurance, or other job benefits (none) before they were forced in place by unions and the powers behind the labor movement.

blakespot

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
I still have about 5 of the original Think Different posters, you know Ghandi, Einstein enz. I'm looking for more than a year to get out of my parents house and get a nice home with my girlfriend and we both agreed we are gonna hang them al up somewhere in our new home. I can't wait.
Anybody knows a affordable appartment in Amsterdam?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
what is the afl-cio?

What are they teaching the kids in school these days???

Actually, my workplace Mac history is an interesting story.

I work for a trading firm that is primarily in Eurodollar futures. The founder of the firm is a very smart guy who single handedly made a fortune trading Eurodollars.

Anyway, he originally wrote the software system used to do risk analysis and pricing of his positions. And he did it on Macs. In fact, our whole office was Macs at one time. Needless to say this is very unique in the financial world.

Unfortunately, throughout the years his system became obsolete and he hired a bunch of people who wanted windows. So slowly the office became a windows office. But we still have a lot of really old Macs and Mac memorabilia lying around the office.

Matthew

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by blakespot

The American Federation of Labor--Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) is the voluntary federation of America's unions, representing more than 13 million working women and men nationwide.
Ah right, so it's not the Chief Information Officer of the Australian Football League? Right. Got it :D

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois

The AFL-CIO was formed in 1955 by the merger of the American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations.

http://www.aflcio.org

Even if you are not in a union, you have likely been significantly affected by unions. There was no sick leave, vacation leave, medcial insurance, or other job benefits (none) before they were forced in place by unions and the powers behind the labor movement.

blakespot

I'm all for the objectives of the Unions, however some of its practices are controversial. When a national union makes decisions which are detrimental to the workers who they are supposed to represent, then things are all upside down. Look at the coal mining industry east of the Rockies. It has been destroyed due to the inflexibility of the national mineworkers union. Unfortunately, there are entire counties that are still in ruin due to the shutdowns of all the mines in those areas.

There are situations where company reps, working as authorized under the agreements with the unions, were threatened by car fulls of union guys. I've been on job sites where I've been threatened for being non-union and being on-site, and I was the guy responsible for hiring the union laborers.

I've seen teamsters show up on job sites and threaten to destroy equipment and trucks that were parked and not in use if additional teamsters weren't hired to sit in the cabs of those vehicles.

I've seen a union close a plant down because a non-union crew was working on the asphalt of a private residence next door to the plant. They apparently blamed management for the homeowners decision to use that company and refused to go back to work until the company did something about it.

(AFSME I think) argues that the State shouldn't shut down an old, out of date, prison to save a ton of money because it would cause some workers to get laid off or transferred. (I guess the 100 guards or so are more important than the millions of taxpayers)

Management has done some awful things in the past, and the Unions have done amazing things to protect workers, however, I question the Union's relevance today and I also question the anti-competitive effedts of the Unions. Why isn't every state a right-to-work state? Why is it ok for unions to make non-participating employees pay dues to the unions? Why are unions allowed to picket companies that are non-union?

(Remember blakespot, before you get too mad at me, that my job is to argue points I disagree with)

Since you're related to the Unions, you should make it union policy that no worker anywhere will work until all the PC's are replaced with macs.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Hey Blakespot, cool pics man! Love the frame on the NeXt poster. Hey do me a favor, the pic that you have of the white house from the street. The next time you go by there if those tree huggers with the "live by the bomb die by the bomb" sign are still out there, then give them a kick in the a$$ for me :)

Seriously though, my sister lives in Laurel and programs for the DOD. I did an intership up in Langley in 1992. Seeing those pics brought back some good memories.

Now on topic...
We have the "rebirth of cool" iMac poster here at work, along with the "introducing the new G4" and the "rainbow" of iMacs poster. My boss says he has a cube poster and is going to find it and give it to me, but he hasn't yet. :(

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Office Posters

Here at SDSU, we have an iMac MWSF 2002 poster on the door. Every time I come into the office, I'm reminded of Apple's design genius.

Red-light runner seems to be down right now, maybe they'll come back with some killer goods. :)

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Office Posters

Originally posted by mc68k
Here at SDSU, we have an iMac MWSF 2002 poster on the door. Every time I come into the office, I'm reminded of Apple's design genius.

Red-light runner seems to be down right now, maybe they'll come back with some killer goods. :)
Pictures.

blakespot

Cube Poster

Here is a picture of a Cube poster hanging in my room. I got this from MWNY, I have other Cube posters in my room as well.

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 265

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I've got that Cube poster which was a foldout poster (still full size) from Mac Format, a british Mac mag. Thumb-tacked onto the wall of my once-closet (doors removed) in my computer area.

blakespot

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
I've got that Cube poster which was a foldout poster (still full size) from Mac Format, a british Mac mag. Thumb-tacked onto the wall of my once-closet (doors removed) in my computer area.

same one i got that's hanging up in my girlfriend's room

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
what is the afl-cio?

i have a quicksilver poster (from mwny 2001) up here at my dorm.
i also have the jim henson think different at home, though not up...

and i gave my girlfriend my cube poster. which has appeared in a bunch of my movies and i always hear "what's the significance of the poster?" or something along those lines... it used to be up in my room, so it was in the background...

or. "given the nature of the piece, the apple poster in the back doesn't seem appropriate"... haha.

I got a bunch of those kids in my class too...hehe, I hate them. Boy do they ever piss me off....Oh well, last time I gotta go is today..

I'm getting some Think Different posters from a friend in a few days. He got a bunch of them from his work and he said I can have any of them I want except for 3...Don't know which ones he has though

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by teabgs
I got a bunch of those kids in my class too...hehe, I hate them. Boy do they ever piss me off....Oh well, last time I gotta go is today..

ha. i wish it had been the kids. alas, it was my socially conscious teacher (overly conscious)...

last time? you're graduating early? ha

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you

ha. i wish it had been the kids. alas, it was my socially conscious teacher (overly conscious)...

last time? you're graduating early? ha

NO, I'm not graduating early..I meant it was my last time going to that class with those kids. I find that animation students arent like that. They're all semi-anti-social masocisitic nocturnal geeks! :D Much bettercompany then overly artsy and pretentious "video artists". And for the record my Prof. is just as bad as them...I'm so glad I'm done with that class..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.