PDA

View Full Version : 366mhz vs. 400mhz

latergator116
Nov 1, 2003, 09:13 PM
Hi guys, I am getting a new laptop and I am deciding between a 366mhz iBook and 400mhz Powerbook. The Powerbook has a 100mhz bus while the iBook has 66mhz Will there be any noticibale difference? thanks.

Rezet
Nov 1, 2003, 09:19 PM
Umm. to be honest both of them are going to be slow. I'd think twice b4 getting either. But out of given 2 choices i think powerbook is an obvious one.

latergator116
Nov 1, 2003, 09:29 PM
Umm. to be honest both of them are going to be slow. I'd think twice b4 getting either. But out of given 2 choices i think powerbook is an obvious one.

Well, can either of them run panther decently?

FredAkbar
Nov 1, 2003, 09:39 PM
My old computer is a 400 MHz blueberry iMac with a 100 MHz bus and 256 MB of RAM, it runs OS X fairly well, it's slow at times, especially compared to my new computer, but it certainly runs it. I put Panther on it about a week ago.

Rezet
Nov 1, 2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
Well, can either of them run panther decently?

I probably wouldn't even try that. Apple openly says they dont support nor recommend OSX for first G3s.

If you want my suggestion, Get an Ibook G4 12" 800Mhz G4 at apple store. You can use Educational discount if it applies to you to make it cheaper. You will get a nice computer for around 1000 dollars.
Considering ibooks were recently updated, they are a sure bet. And price is very very nice. Sony Vaio laptop with similar specs will cost you more. And if you want a cheap but good comp, thats the way to go. I would discourage ou from buying anything 300-400 mhz now. People try to get rid of them right now, not buy them
Except for CUBE perhaps... I'd love to own that one... :)

latergator116
Nov 1, 2003, 09:55 PM
I probably wouldn't even try that. Apple openly says they dont support nor recommend OSX for first G3s.

If you want my suggestion, Get an Ibook G4 12" 800Mhz G4 at apple store. You can use Educational discount if it applies to you to make it cheaper. You will get a nice computer for around 1000 dollars.
Considering ibooks were recently updated, they are a sure bet. And price is very very nice. Sony Vaio laptop with similar specs will cost you more. And if you want a cheap but good comp, thats the way to go. I would discourage ou from buying anything 300-400 mhz now. People try to get rid of them right now, not buy them
Except for CUBE perhaps... I'd love to own that one..

Id love to get an ibook G4 but I realy dont have much money. My old iBook 500mhz just broke and I am selling all the parts to help get a new laptop

Spock
Nov 1, 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Rezet

Apple is talking about the PRE-300mHz

I have ran Mac OS X for as long as it has been out on my 366 iBook and it runs fine.You won't be able to run new games or anything like that but that is about it. I would choose the Powerbook if the price is right. The powerbook will be faster than the iBook.

latergator116
Nov 1, 2003, 10:03 PM
Apple is talking about the PRE-300mHz

I have ran Mac OS X for as long as it has been out on my 366 iBook and it runs fine.You won't be able to run new games or anything like that but that is about it. I would choose the Powerbook if the price is right. The powerbook will be faster than the iBook.

Good to hear that. The only reason I was looking at the iBook was becasue it had a 4gb bigger hd and was 30 bucks cheaper but probably not worth it.

tazo
Nov 1, 2003, 11:22 PM
if ya can manage this much it would be a very good deal:

http://www.macofalltrades.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=5&pf%5Fid=G3500PI1&mscssid=QDA08SEWF1T39KEH6J3WFV2BC9856J58

Rezet
Nov 1, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by tazo
if ya can manage this much it would be a very good deal:

http://www.macofalltrades.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=5&pf%5Fid=G3500PI1&mscssid=QDA08SEWF1T39KEH6J3WFV2BC9856J58

I don' think this is a good deal at all man... Why would you want 500mhz g3 without warranty etc. for $700 bucks
When you can get brand new G4 ibook by adding around 300 bucks. I'd suggest just waiting until being able to afford ibook.
But again, I don't know your financial situation...

Cheers.

Flowbee
Nov 2, 2003, 12:05 AM

Give me a break. Panther runs perfectly well on my 400mhz Powerbook (Pismo) w/512mb of RAM. For web surfing, email, MS Office, Dreamweaver, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. it's just fine.

Rezet
Nov 2, 2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Give me a break. Panther runs perfectly well on my 400mhz Powerbook (Pismo) w/512mb of RAM. For web surfing, email, MS Office, Dreamweaver, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. it's just fine.

What's your problem again dude?
That was nothing mre than my opinion. And Apple doesn't support OSX on older G3s. Call them and find out.
Second, 500mhz loaded pismo and 360mhz ibook is a big difference.
I don't think you have to argue OSx is slower than 9x... (for old G3s anyways).

*referring to 500Mhz pisomo from tazos link.

Powerbook G5
Nov 2, 2003, 02:00 AM
I put Panther on my 400 MHz G3 PowerBook and it's pretty painful at times. It can run OS X, but honestly, you'd be better off using OS 9 as your primary OS since it runs really well on a 400 MHz system compared to OS X.

SpaceMagic
Nov 2, 2003, 03:45 AM
I am using the iBook 366 right now. In fact its my main machine (as you can see from my signiture my other mac I bought off eBay and is slower than the iBook). I *really* need to spend some time on a faster Mac if people think that this iBook is slow.

I've been using OS X since the pre-release on this machine and it runs absolutely fine. The poster above was right about the not being able to play games. Despite this, the machine is great for the internet, office, mail, etc... iPhoto gets painful sometimes.

I'm getting a new Mac at the MacExpo London on 22nd November - can't wait! But I still haven't decided on a 14" iBook, 15" AlBook, or 1.6Ghz G5.... but that's for another post.

Plutoniq
Nov 2, 2003, 03:46 AM
If your going for a G3 Powerbook, my recommendation goes with the 400mhz Powerbook G3 2000 (Firewire/Pismo).

-Officially supports OSX 10.3 Panther
-Graphics Acceleration in 10.2 & 10.3 for it's Rage 128 mobility.
-Supports up to 1024Mb of RAM
-Inbuilt Firewire 400 & USB 1.1
-Can use 2 batteries for 8hour+ battery time
-Internal Airport Slot
-DVD-R/RW upgrades available
-550mhz G4 & 900mhz G3 CPU upgrades available.
-Great Trackpad!!!!
-Cardbus PCMCIA, cards such as "Firewire 800" and "32mb VTBookDD DVI" can be added on.

I've seen the 400mhz Pismo sell for under US$600. It's a bargain, extremely upgradable, and pretty much future-proof for a while at least. Be able to squeeze years out of these top machines. Would advise against Lombard's and Wallstreets..... they normally sell for as much as the Pismo's anyways....

grabberslasher
Nov 2, 2003, 05:10 AM
I definitely recommend getting the powerbook.
I have installed Panther on a rev b Sawtooth G4 400Mhz and on a B&W G3 400Mhz and there is a big difference. The G4 runs almost as snappily as my 800Mhz TiBook but the G3 is jerky and slow.

The only other factor in the G4's performance is the graphics card (I put in a GeForce 3 which helps with Quartz extreme - probably would eliminate the jerkiness on G3).

I think the original TiBooks had a Radeon of some sort so should be QE enabled.

latergator116
Nov 2, 2003, 09:16 AM
Ok, I guess I will buy the 400mhz pismo. worst comes to worst, I cant run os x and I run os 9 until I get another computer.

Flowbee
Nov 2, 2003, 11:33 AM
What's your problem again dude?
That was nothing mre than my opinion. And Apple doesn't support OSX on older G3s. Call them and find out.
Second, 500mhz loaded pismo and 360mhz ibook is a big difference.
I don't think you have to argue OSx is slower than 9x... (for old G3s anyways).

*referring to 500Mhz pisomo from tazos link.

Apple *does* support Panther on the 400mhz G3 Powerbook (one of the machines the original poster was asking about).

Your opinion that he shouldn't try running Panther on it is poorly informed. I'm guessing you've never tried running Panther on a G3 Powerbook yourself.

I'd gladly sacrifice the speed of OS9 for the features and stability of OSX any day of the week.

latergator116
Nov 2, 2003, 11:48 AM
Ok, I am confirminf that Panther does tun on a 400mhz Powerbook. It might end up running about the same apeed since my old iBook had a 500mhz and 66mhz bus, while the Powerbook has a 100mhz bus

Plutoniq
Nov 2, 2003, 04:02 PM
Just make sure it's the "Powerbook G3 2000" @ 400mhz. I say this because the high-end Lombard
Powerbook also was released @ 400mhz. You definetley don't want to buy the 400mhz "Lombard" over the 400mhz "Pismo".....they look very much the same on the outside, but there are huge differences on the internal Specs.

One way to make sure..... Pismo's have built-in firewire & USB 1.1 ports, while Lombards only have USB 1.1 & SCSI.

Ryan

latergator116
Nov 2, 2003, 08:29 PM
Just make sure it's the "Powerbook G3 2000" @ 400mhz. I say this because the high-end Lombard
Powerbook also was released @ 400mhz. You definetley don't want to buy the 400mhz "Lombard" over the 400mhz "Pismo".....they look very much the same on the outside, but there are huge differences on the internal Specs.

One way to make sure..... Pismo's have built-in firewire & USB 1.1 ports, while Lombards only have USB 1.1 & SCSI.

Yeah, for a while that tricked me. I realized there are many differences including 100mhz bus and better graphics card.