Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Yesterday, I turned on my iPod nano (8gb 2nd gen) to check the clock, and it worked fine. I then turned it off and put it in my pocket. An hour later, I tried turning it on again, and it wouldn't turn on. I was pretty sure I had charged the battery, but not being 100% positive, I assumed the battery died.

Today, I heard a clicking noise coming from across my bedroom every few seconds. I went to investigate, and discovered the clicking was coming from the iPod. The iPod will still not turn on, and is still clicking every few seconds. I would try charging it, but with all the reports these days of exploding batteries I'm afraid to. Anyone know what's going on or what I should do?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The chances of any individual iPod catching fire it virtually zero, and it isn't known if the iPod's in question were sold outside Japan.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
The chances of any individual iPod catching fire it virtually zero.

I realize that, but then again, what's the chance of an individual iPod refusing to turn on but making an inexplicable clicking noise every few seconds? I've never heard of such a thing.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I realize that, but then again, what's the chance of an individual iPod refusing to turn on but making an inexplicable clicking noise every few seconds? I've never heard of such a thing.

Well it sounds like Hard Disc failure, but you have a nano, just plug it in, if you are scared do so on a ceramic plate or something, they don't catch fire ;).

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Yes, its a Nano, so the clicking noise should not be from the hard drive (as there is none).

As far as I know, there are no moving parts in the Nano to generate any form of "clicking" noise.

Are you sure it is coming from the Nano? Also, this may be dumb, but is it from the clicker sound feedback when you use the scroll wheel?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Are you sure it is coming from the Nano? Also, this may be dumb, but is it from the clicker sound feedback when you use the scroll wheel?

It's definitely from the nano, and it sounds as if it might be the clicker from the scroll wheel (moreover, that's really the only thing that makes sense), but it's not as loud as a scroll wheel click would typically be. Eventually the clicking stopped, probably because the battery died, but I haven't plugged it in yet.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Plug it in to your computer, and if you are really afraid of it catching fire, then put it on something non-flammable. And I do not believe that the iPods catching fire were the 2Gs, I believe that they were the 3Gs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.