PDA

View Full Version : First Look: Hulu and You

MacBytes
Mar 13, 2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: First Look: Hulu and You (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080313233247)
Description:: New video portal promises to eat up all your free time.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

minik
Mar 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
I had high hope for hulu.com, but still not my cup of tea.

Having a full featured film streaming sounds good tho.

Before the whole NBC and iTunes thing, I bought Top Chef season pass on iTunes. Now, there is no legal way for me to watch that show online. I wish hulu.com offers more full episode TV shows to the public.

bov
Mar 14, 2008, 12:18 AM
i experienced so much delay and buffer times while using hulu.. wasnt good..

x86isslow
Mar 14, 2008, 01:36 AM
I was part of the Hulu beta program, and I've got to say, full screen on a PPC mac has been butter-smooth. Hulu is the best iptv site I've seen to date. If you close a show that you're watching, it remembers your spot, and returns you there automatically on your next visit.

Miles ahead of CBS Innertube and ABC.com

blackbelt
Mar 14, 2008, 05:31 AM
I have been a part of the beta program too, and i have had no problems with buffer times... etc. It works amazing on my new MBP (much better then my 5 year old PC). I hope that ABC and CBS get in on the action, so we don't have to watch TV shows in little boxes on their sites.

enigmatut
Mar 14, 2008, 09:10 AM
I suppose Hulu has its place as a streaming content provider, but I much prefer using iTunes where I can take my content with me (read: iPhone on a plane).
Also, if I read minik properly I think we're in the same boat. During the writer's strike I wanted to watch Chuck and see if I dug it. I watched the pilot via Hulu, liked it, and then tried to go on to episode 2 and .... ?? they only had 9-12 (-ish). So off I went to a Torrent site!
Point is, I was willing to pay for the iTunes download (but it's an NBC show), then I was willing to go the legit streaming route (ads and all), and then I resorted to the "naughty" method.

minik
Mar 14, 2008, 01:35 PM
I wasn't in the beta testing process, so I couldn't compare beta vs. public release. I didn't experience any hiccup on my G5 w/7Mbps DSL line anyway. Streaming content delivery is fine for me, but sometimes I want an option to download the content in the background, like RSS feeding style and iTunes season pass, then watch them later on.

Hulu.com is a good start tho.

Peace
Mar 14, 2008, 02:07 PM
I've been in the beta program since the beginning. I've seen it go from crappy to fairly well. Yesterday we tested a P2P stream and that kept buffering and conking out but I'm sure it will get better.

nagromme
Mar 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
I've gotten good use out of MyABC and Fox on Demand (both free, both high-definition, both Mac-friendly, and both with far fewer ads than broadcast TV). I'm not sorry to see NBC shows available too... not to mention Sci-Fi :) I see they have Battlestar Galactica. Hope they keep up promptly with new episodes the way iTunes did.

Hulu doesn't seem to be high-def--but neither are TV shows on iTunes to AFAIK. MyABC and Fox on Demand look better as far as picture quality--but they have controls and window borders even when full-screen. I like the "true full-screen" at Hulu. (CW has a few full episodes, but their full-screen is more like "full-page.")

None of which changes that there's not much good on TV :o But it's nice to keep up with Lost and Galactica and Pushing Daisies without paying for downloads OR cable. I can deal with limited ads.

Nermal
Mar 14, 2008, 04:30 PM
I got accepted into the beta a few months ago but when I tried to use it, I got a message stating that it only works in the US.

Earlier this week, a reputable news site in NZ mentioned that the service would officially launch the next day (and didn't say anything about it being US-only). I was excited about finally getting to try it so I went over there, and BAM! "You're not in the US, go away". :mad:

minik
Mar 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
How about Joost? Any experience on it? Am I being OT? :p

I wasn't IN for the Joost 'non-public' program nor I have an Intel Mac.

siurpeeman
Mar 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
How about Joost? Any experience on it? Am I being OT? :p

I wasn't IN for the Joost 'non-public' program nor I have an Intel Mac.

the problem with joost is that the content is old, and it seems as though nothing gets updated. if i wanted to catch any episode from any network broadcast from this season or any recent season, i'd be pretty much out of luck.

rdowns
Mar 15, 2008, 06:02 AM
I was in on the beta and used it to watch a few shows I missed on TV. Thought it was the best site of its kind that I've used to date. Performance was flawless each time.