Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supaklaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
NYC
Anyone? HL2 is listed on their supported list, was wondering if anyone has gotten any others to work?

Generally the virtual software I've found pretty lame for running games... I installed some older win95 games on the Crossover demo that won't launch... Mechwarrior 2, 3, 4, Deus Ex, and recently Stalker. No dice. VMware Fusion works nicely simply to use it as a Virtual PC type machine to copy files between bootcamp drives, but again... for games it sucks since it's emulating a graphics card. Crossover in theory is the closest thing I've seen to cider, running in a shell in OS X... if that could work, that would rock. But so far, all the old crusty games I assumed were generic and simplistic enough to work, don't. Any success stories would be appreciated, I'd like to try out a few games just to see how they run.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
was wondering if anyone has gotten any others to work?
Here are the CrossOver Game Compatibility Listings.

And even better, here's an interesting post on the Ubuntu forums:
When the soon to be released version 7 of CrossOver(Linux or Mac) is released there is going to be a new version called CrossOver Games, which will be updated very often, compared to the standard CrossOver which goes for lengthy periods without an update.

This is really good news for gamers that want to run Windows games on Linux or Mac, as the code updates will be made available quickly for gamers to benefit from.

CrossOver has great support in it's forums, which also have a great attitude & a high level of developer presence.

Codeweavers, the company that makes CrossOver are the number one supporters of Wine, & most all of the Direct3D improvements to Wine over the last few months have come from Stefan Dosinger, who has made Guild Wars a wonder to view & play using DX9 in the new version 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.