Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
ohh good find. These have had quiet a few updates recently, can't remember any of them being very specific though.

AppleMatt

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12)

Did they just pull the update? it was downloading at worse than dialup speeds now its stopped with an error?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Nice! That's a big jump, from 1.2.3 to 1.3. I wonder what all it does?

I did have a thing where sometimes my iPod wouldn't shut off, and I'd find it dead in the morning. I'm not sure that's happened since 1.2.3 though. Can't remember. Used to happen quite a bit.

I still get some occasional bugs that require a reboot, although nothing too terrible, at least considering it's basically just a media player.

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
Am I only one with Downloading problems? It says 36 minutes remaining (and with my internet it should be less than 20 sec) and i keep getting an error that the server couldn't be contacted partway in

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Nice to see apple is still supporting the 5G Ipod. I cant see anything different from the previous firmware, but still nice to see.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
What was error -48?

torero, this is bug fixed, nothing like coverflow. From everything I've read, that feature is actually a detriment to the 6G iPods.

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Sure would be nice if one of these updates enabled iTunes movie rentals on the 5G, but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
No difference to me, and no new features or such that I see anywhere. Oh well, at least we know Apple is showing the white plastic some love.

Only a guess, but with OS 10.4.12 coming out and being the last update, and this iPod v1.3 that "supersedes" all previous updates, think they're simply putting final touches on past products before moving on? All I can think of.

Oh, and Safari has indeed increased it's Snap-Factor.:D

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I think I didn't make it clear and a little confusing. I have the Bloodhound Gang song 'The Bad Touch'. Now instead of it being sorted under 'T', it is now sorted under 'B'. Sorry if you were right, its just I have never noticed that before.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Sure would be nice if one of these updates enabled iTunes movie rentals on the 5G, but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

That is what I was hoping for also, but I suspect that since the Video output of the 5G iPod is not blockable, Apple won't ever give these machines access to the video rentals. With the iPod touch/iPhone, they can block the video output of movie rentals, so that you can't capture the video.

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
That is what I was hoping for also, but I suspect that since the Video output of the 5G iPod is not blockable, Apple won't ever give these machines access to the video rentals. With the iPod touch/iPhone, they can block the video output of movie rentals, so that you can't capture the video.

I don't think that's the reason -- the iPhone will play movie rentals on the video output just fine, and maybe it has Macrovision or something added but that's not too hard to get around. I've heard that it had something to do with a tamper-proof hardware clock but I don't know if that's speculation or what.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Nice to see apple is still supporting the 5G Ipod. I cant see anything different from the previous firmware, but still nice to see.

The only thing that seems new is that Smart playlists are updating live eg my "My Top Rated" list loses/gains songs when changing the ratings.

alshead

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Coloraddy
all 5th generations?

Does anyone know if this applies to ALL 5th generation ipods, or just the late 2006? I got the original 5th gen and some of the other updates/ features that were released in the late 2006 model haven't applied (like the search feature). I don't have it here with me, so I can't check.

Also, looks like the info on this page hasn't been updated: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61688-en

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Does this update allow movie rentals on it? I would test mine, but its broken and I don't live in the US.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Does anyone know if this applies to ALL 5th generation ipods, or just the late 2006? I got the original 5th gen and some of the other updates/ features that were released in the late 2006 model haven't applied (like the search feature). I don't have it here with me, so I can't check.

Also, looks like the info on this page hasn't been updated: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61688-en
I have an original 5th gen and I got the update, too.
The update must have been really small. I looked away and it downloaded before I could see it downloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.