Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy Apple TV if it had DVR?

• Yes definately, take me to the apple store right now!!

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • Would consider it very deeply

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Not really sure still

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Still wouldnt buy it, they need to do more

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Whats an Apple TV can I eat it??

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
With the Apple TV getting the take 2 treatment I personally still wouldnt buy it.

Just wanted a quick poll to see where everyone is at if they released it with DVR capablity.

I know for a fact it would be a no brainer and I would be rummaging around in my pockets for my last coins if it came out.

So what do you all think, or are there any other improvments needed before then??

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
TiVo. TiVo currently does all the work of an AppleTV. If Apple bought a portion of TiVo, like they have talked about in the past, I may jump on it in a heartbeat. I love the flexability I have with my TiVo, and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

TEG

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
If you are looking for a DVR, then there are already a ton of mature products available, but Apple isn't trying to get into that market. They are positioning the ATV to be an internet delivery device where they can sell content via ITMS. Personally I don't care about DVR functions. In fact I got the ATV so I could cancel my cable entirely. I calculated that I would send much less by dropping the cable and purchasing just the shows I want. So far it's been great, but with the writers strike, new content is slim.

If you need this function in the ATV, your best hope would be for 3rd party software to record shows and add them to iTunes.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
TiVo currently does all the work of an AppleTV.

I have a Tivo right next to my apple TV. There is no overlap in the two devices at all Tivo does none of the things apple TV does, at least for me.

My fridge doesn't microwave my tv-dinners either. I have a micro-wave for that.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I used to love my TiVos, but lately every system "upgrade" ends up actually being a "downgrade" from an end-user point of view (e.g. the current major upgrade seriously degraded parts of the multiroom viewing functionality on Series 2 boxes; the previous major upgrade basically just added advertisements to more menus and to certain fast-forward usage). Not to mention the fiasco regarding TivoToGo on the Mac.

I've spent a few months going back and forth on whether I want to roll my own PVR + DVD Player + network media box using a Mac Mini plus an El Gato EyeTV of some sort; so I don't know that I'm willing to sit and wait a year to see if Apple releases their own product. But (finally getting to the point) I'm no longer loyal to TiVo - one way or the other I'm ready to dump them, as long as I preserve the functionality I want. If Apple offered a PVR today, I can pretty much guarantee I'd buy it.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I put my vote down for hell yes! If you believe this one analyst it might not be far off. Then again some times I really must question how and where these guys get their info.

I've spent a few months going back and forth on whether I want to roll my own PVR + DVD Player + network media box using a Mac Mini plus an El Gato EyeTV of some sort; so I don't know that I'm willing to sit and wait a year to see if Apple releases their own product. But (finally getting to the point) I'm no longer loyal to TiVo - one way or the other I'm ready to dump them, as long as I preserve the functionality I want. If Apple offered a PVR today, I can pretty much guarantee I'd buy it.
I'm kind of in the same boat, but the ordeal of setting one up, tweaking and getting the bloody thing to work with my cablebox. I think laziness and the risk that the whole bloody thing won't work (as well as I'd want it to) is why I keep waiting for Apple to produce something like this.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
You forgot a choice for "no because I already have a DVR I'm satisfied with."

Regards,
Michael

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
l

I didn't vote either. I don't have a DVR, and I don't want to see this a feature on the ATV. I wouldn't want it to raise the price for a feature that ultimately is counter to what the ATV is intended for.

The ultimate goal of the Apple TV is to remove the need for a DVR. I got an ATV to replace Comcast outright, not to support two separate payment models.

I think that Apple and ITMS have a way to go still before your average user will drop cable, but I want them to focus on that goal instead of giving up and just being another DVR.

Somethings I think that they could do are: Provide the first episode of shows for free. Experiment with ad supported content. Subscriptions for 'channels' of rolling content play lists...

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006

Regards,
Michael

Agreed - this is NOT what I purchased an AppleTV for.

Added DVR functionality is ridiculous for most cable subscribers - almost all cable companies have DVRs available for minimal cost that are always going to be more happily integrated into your cable menu system than anything Apple could possibly do. Likewise, I've never understood people on mature cable systems shelling out $13/month subscriptions to TIVO - I pay $7/month for an HD DVR on my cable system (that's for the box and the service) and have no desire to change to anything different.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
And that's not taking into account that the satellite providers will never allow :apple:TV to be used as a DVR with their systems. They want the customer to use their DVR. There is simply no way to use a TiVo with either DirecTV or Dish, and that wouldn't change with Apple. Unless there was a partnership and that would take money away from the providers in the form of monthly revenue.

No, even if Apple has been doing work on a prototype DVR software I think it is unlikely they would add that functionality to :apple:TV. The service providers won't want to let Apple tread on their turf.

Regards,
Michael

Retired
May 16, 2006
If it were £100, yes, but that is doubtful...

Now when they have a Time Capsule+DVR, that will be awesome.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Sorry, but recent patent findings suggest this statement is incorrect. Apple has recently filed several patents dealing with DVR technology.

Just because a patent has been filed doesn't mean Apple is trying to break into that market.

Regards,
Michael

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Just because a patent has been filed doesn't mean Apple is trying to break into that market.

Regards,
Michael

OK. Enlighten us. What exactly would that indicate? So they are filing DVR patents because the have NO plans for DVR. Right. Good logic.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I pay $7/month for an HD DVR on my cable system (that's for the box and the service) and have no desire to change to anything different.

Good. glad you're happy. Has it occurred to you that maybe other people would prefer a different setup? Most people (those of us who are not sheep) prefer options. Tivo gives us options. A DVR ATV would give us options. The cable company does NOT give us options.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
OK. Enlighten us. What exactly would that indicate? So they are filing DVR patents because the have NO plans for DVR. Right. Good logic.

Company's patent ideas all the time, not all of them make it to market as actual products. All I'm saying is you should not assume that just because Apple has filed a patent for DVR software they are going to move into that market. Add to that the fact that the patent may be denied. Not all patents that are applied for are approved.

Regards,
Michael

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Company's patent ideas all the time, not all of them make it to market as actual products. All I'm saying is you should not assume that just because Apple has filed a patent for DVR software they are going to move into that market. Add to that the fact that the patent may be denied. Not all patents that are applied for are approved.

Regards,
Michael

OK. I can accept that. Still, it DOES indicate that they may be trying to break into that market. It doesn't mean it will happen (for whatever reason), but it's still an indicator.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
If they do add DVR functionality, I hope it doesn't increase the cost of the device (or if it does, that they maintain a non-DVR version). There's not enough on TV to warrant paying for it, in my opinion. I do all my watching of stuff I've downloaded or bought on DVD, so a DVR AppleTV really wouldn't address any sort of missing functionality.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
OK. I can accept that. Still, it DOES indicate that they may be trying to break into that market. It doesn't mean it will happen (for whatever reason), but it's still an indicator.

In my opinion all the patent application indicates is that Apple is trying to patent some software they've been working on in their skunkworks.

Regards,
Michael

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have a Tivo right next to my apple TV. There is no overlap in the two devices at all Tivo does none of the things apple TV does, at least for me.

My fridge doesn't microwave my tv-dinners either. I have a micro-wave for that.

My TiVo plays videos off of my computer, it plays music off of my Mac, I can download movies from Unbox, at the same price as iTunes. I do have a video connector for my iPod for the DVD's I've converted to iTunes, because my TiVo doesn't play MP4s.

TEG

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
In fact I got the ATV so I could cancel my cable entirely. I calculated that I would send much less by dropping the cable and purchasing just the shows I want. So far it's been great, but with the writers strike, new content is slim.

I fully agree, up here in Canada, TV basically sucks - when I had cable, I paid about 45 bucks per month, but I would only watch 2 or 3 channels. Much of the animation and documentaries I used to watch is available on iTunes.
So I am extremely pleased with my new gadget and I definitely do not need any PVR functionality for Canadian television.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.