PDA

View Full Version : Do you think its an annoying time to be a switcher?

ZildjianKX
Nov 2, 2003, 02:47 AM
I personally just switched to macs w/ the purchase of a G5, but it seems it been a little bit of a pain in the ass lately with all the updates... and compatibility problems.
Here is a list of all the major upgrades and pains that I'm sure others have gone through too.

Jaguar to Panther.

Aladdin Stuffit Deluxe 7 to 8 (destroys permissions), 8.01 had to come out.

Roxio Toast Titanium 6 to 7, won't work with most new superdrives, 7.01 had to come out.

Adobe Photoshop 7 to 8 (CS)

and of course Virtual PC 6.1 not working with G5s... and I guess we'll have to wait until version 7 next spring probably.

billyboy
Nov 2, 2003, 03:01 AM
I was surprised by the "problems" faced by third party suppliers trying to keep their drivers up to date. I thought for instance M-Audio were just lazy about not having any new drivers for Panther, but when they listed the number of Jaguar upgrades, then Panther, along with the new architecture, and explained that each version and change impacts in some way on their drivers, maybe it isnt so easy for their technical guys to keep completely up to speed. But even if there is a lag in support, it is eventually provided and I think it is great how the Apple product line is evolving, and raising standards.

really, if your software is working well with one version of OSX, you could say if it aint broke why fix it, and just wait for the upgrades for all your relevant 3rd party software before moving up.

gundam
Nov 2, 2003, 08:10 AM
I also switched, but on the laptop end... from a long-time Thinkpad user to the 15" Powerbook.
No, it hasn't been a good time to switch at all...
to top it off, I have the infamous "white spots" on my powerbook display which I will have to do something about this week. While I'm quite fond of OS X, in general I feel a little let down by the hardware. I would rather have a sturdy, powerful (bland) Thinkpad-like machine running OS X and wish Apple had such an offering. The 15" feels heavier than I was expecting, the battery life is poor, the case gets roasting hot, the keyboard doesn't feel as good as the Thinkpad's. Also ergonomically, the Powerbook has a hard edge against the wrist area that doesn't feel good at all. In fact, I prefer the iBook's casing to the Powerbook's metallic presentation.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 2, 2003, 08:35 AM
as in cars getting the first run of products almost allways have a few bugs,thats why us old time mac users usually wait for those rev b & c models.

Schiffi
Nov 2, 2003, 08:45 AM
Luckily I switched, on what?, the Rev D Tibook.

patrick0brien
Nov 2, 2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I personally just switched to macs w/ the purchase of a G5, but it seems it been a little bit of a pain in the ass lately with all the updates... and compatibility problems.
Here is a list of all the major upgrades and pains that I'm sure others have gone through too.

-ZildjianKX

Yeah, I'd say the 32 to 64 bit transition would mark a fairly annoying time to switch because Apple has a habit of total committal. when they desice on an achitecture change, it's 'damn the torpedos and straight ahead' so it usually take the third parties - and even Apple themselves a wrinkle or two to get everything to where it is designed to be.

It was a bit like this at the 16 to 32 but transition - but, Computers weren't such a central part of life back then.

Like that transition, Apple is the first to do the 32-64 transition, and will again be done when Wintel makes the move.

Hang in there and understand that there will be little hiccups like this.

ZildjianKX
Nov 2, 2003, 01:44 PM
Its weird, actually none of the compatibility problems I've had are from 32 bit vs 64 bit... it just seems that everyone decided to update everything at the same time. The only processor problem w/ the G5's is the lack of little-endian emulation on the processor... killing the virtual PC support...