Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I can not put my Mac to sleep or shut it down - it always wakes or restarts.

It seems to be related to my monitor, an 18" LCD using VGA connection with the Apple VGA to DVI adapter.

I can not start my Mac withour the monitor being physically disconnected.

Anyone ever hear of such a problem?

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I had similar issues with my PC not turning off, but that was related to a fauty PCI card, it's good that you've isolated the problem. If the screen or computer is under warrenty you shouldn't have any problems getting a repalacement, if not however a new screen or graphics card may be on the cards.

happy hunting;)

I was unaware that the P4 was avaliable in a 3.36GHz, I thought 3.2GHz was the current max, unless of course you've overclocked it? Just wondering.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I overclock everything!

Mine is a 2.4C running 275*4 FSB. It could do more but I like my machines quiet.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
It was the Atec Monitor. Nice cheap 18" (made by LG) but it does not support the Mac. Strange.

I think its sending a signal through the VGA cable that causes the Mac to wake or restart.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Re: G4 Tower Shut Down problems

Originally posted by lewdvig
I can not put my Mac to sleep or shut it down - it always wakes or restarts.

It seems to be related to my monitor, an 18" LCD using VGA connection with the Apple VGA to DVI adapter.

I can not start my Mac withour the monitor being physically disconnected.

Anyone ever hear of such a problem?

It's probably the analog/digital convertion error. I had similar problem on my G5 with older Compaq monitor, when G5 boots up but monitor doesnt turn on. Or won't shutdown properly.
Once I got myself a brand new Apple flat panel LCD, havent seen this kinda problem after. I'd suggest selling your monitor (which i assume is Sony) and getting DVI or Apple monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.