Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gentile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I have been looking for a Macbook to use for work. I mainly would use iWork 08, Safari, Mail, and iCal.

I want to buy one used or refurbished because I already have an iMac at home. It should be able to run iWork and Leopard.

The best deals that I have found are refurbished for $849.00 or a used one for $800.00 on Amazon.

Ebay and Craig's List seems way overpriced.

Should I be looking somewhere else?

Do I need to worry about battery life?

How about AppleCare?

Any other advice is appreciated.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I would not say to go in the direction of CraigsList or eBay, anything that you are buying that is valued over $100 has too much of a chance of being a scam/ripoff, I would say to look at Amazon, or another way that is trustworthy. And I do not think that AppleCare is really all that much needed, and you might need to buy the software (Leopard, iWork).

schatzie

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I agree. Definitely Apple Refurb store. 1 yr warranty and the machines like new.

You have 1 yr to decide on Apple Care and usually they're cheaper at other places online than directly from Apple.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I'd go with a refurb from Apple just based on the fact that they warranty it for a year.

+1

I've bought several refurbs from Apple Online, including 2 MacBooks, with no problems. The batteries have been new as well as the shells and screens. You can get AppleCare for them as if they were bought new.

I do sell Macs that I replace on eBay but I make it a point to describe their conditions in detail (scratches, battery condition, warranty info, etc) accompanied by pictures. That way, there are no surprises. I would look for the same disclosures if I were shopping for one...

Bottom line: you can save money on eBay; just shop carefully. Otherwise, Apple Online refurbs give you peace of mind.

Gentile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
Thanks for all the responses.

I own an iWork 08 Family pack, so I am not concerned if the laptop does not have iWork installed.

Everything on Ebay so far seems to come in over the refurbished price - unless it is for parts, or cracked screen, etc.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I agree. Definitely Apple Refurb store. 1 yr warranty and the machines like new.

You have 1 yr to decide on Apple Care and usually they're cheaper at other places online than directly from Apple.

Plus it would come with Leopard!;)

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
If my MB broke down and I decided to replace it with another (instead of with a Windows laptop, which would be a possibility), I'd get a refurbished one from Apple.

VideoShooter

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
For $1049 you can get a black macbook on Apple.com.

A 2.2 with 2GB and 160GB

I'd say that is an excellent deal.

I bought one myself.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Thats a good deal for us brits!! Nice find. Know how you feel about selling current model and upgrading! I doubt i'll do it though, my 2.2GHz is doing me great

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Thats a good deal for us brits!! Nice find. Know how you feel about selling current model and upgrading! I doubt i'll do it though, my 2.2GHz is doing me great

That link for the macbook at dixons, I think i am definately going to get one then ebay my 2.2ghz ( its only 3 months old :) )

The reason is, i found a discount code that you can enter at checkout, it is "aw20" and it knocks the macbook down to £720.05 so now thats £110 cheaper than apple :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.