PDA

View Full Version : How do I perform a clean install of OS X 10.2.7?

gundam
Nov 2, 2003, 06:33 AM
I am a new Mac user and want to perform a clean install, since another person who set up my powerbook for some reason used their own name as the root user and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it into my name, short of a clean install (or is there?). But when I use the restore CD, it only seems to offer an "easy install" upgrade option and there's no mention of any clean install.
How do I go about doing this?

caveman_uk
Nov 2, 2003, 10:22 AM
You should have a complete set of OS X 10.2 discs (2) as well as software restore discs which have stuff like the bundled apps for that machine type and classic etc. The OS X discs are the same as what everyone else has. Only the restore discs differ from machine to machine.

Anyway, to install OS X from scratch use the OS X install discs. There must be a clean install option 'cos I've done it. You then need to update from 10.2.0 to 10.2.8 using either software update or a combo updater. Either way they're BIG downloads....

Thirteenva
Nov 2, 2003, 10:38 AM
'root' does not have a username, its just root. So i'll assume you mean your default user account.

This believe this name can be changed. Just open system preferences, then go to accounts panel. You should be able to change user name and user shortname, as well as your password and login picture.

If all else fails just create yourself a new user account (make sure to make it admin account) with your name then delete the old account.