Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orange13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I own an early 2007 MacBook with 1.83 GHz Intel and 512 MB of RAM(hopefully upgrading soon to 2 Gb) and i would really like to put an NVidia graphics card into my macbook without having to buy a MacBook Pro. I'm planing to buy a MB Pro eventually but not right now, so... can i put an NVidia into my macbook?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Considering even on Windows based laptops video card upgrades are next to non-existent (yes I know some models have the ability yet doing so is not an easy task) Apple's laptops follow along the same standard in non-upgradable video cards from the users perspective in regards to laptops.

Upgrades which you see on purchase pages are done at the factory (as with all laptops when you buy them)

Those that can be upgraded are not very easy to do, let alone the cost of said video cards (if available and for Macbooks you can't) are pretty costly, especially for older models.

Short answer, no, MB's cannot have the video upgraded. Best you can do is add more RAM so that video can share in the ram. Beyond that it's best to wait it out until you can get a more powerful laptop.

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
sure you can put an nvidia card into your macbook! just buy the video card, shove it into your macbook wherever there's space, and presto you've got an nvidia card on the go!

getting it to work w/ your macbook, however, is impossible! :(

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I own an early 2007 MacBook with 1.83 GHz Intel and 512 MB of RAM(hopefully upgrading soon to 2 Gb) and i would really like to put an NVidia graphics card into my macbook without having to buy a MacBook Pro. I'm planing to buy a MB Pro eventually but not right now, so... can i put an NVidia into my macbook?

Installing a graphics card on MBs is not possible. They come with an intergrated card and there's nothing that can be done about it. The only latop with an upgradable card is the MBP.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The only latop with an upgradable card is the MBP.

Sorry, but wrong. The MBP does not have an upgradable graphics system. There are two different versions you can choose from when configuring your machine from the factory, but once built it is not changeable/upgradable.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Sorry, but wrong. The MBP does not have an upgradable graphics system. There are two different versions you can choose from when configuring your machine from the factory, but once built it is not changeable/upgradable.

Correct, MPB prev version and current (penryn) both have integrated (by integrated I man NON REMOVABLE, the GPU is the middle chip) cards:

Attachments

• twoboards.jpg
    twoboards.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 332

orange13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Considering even on Windows based laptops video card upgrades are next to non-existent (yes I know some models have the ability yet doing so is not an easy task) Apple's laptops follow along the same standard in non-upgradable video cards from the users perspective in regards to laptops.

Upgrades which you see on purchase pages are done at the factory (as with all laptops when you buy them)

Those that can be upgraded are not very easy to do, let alone the cost of said video cards (if available and for Macbooks you can't) are pretty costly, especially for older models.

Short answer, no, MB's cannot have the video upgraded. Best you can do is add more RAM so that video can share in the ram. Beyond that it's best to wait it out until you can get a more powerful laptop.

Thanks a lot for the info. Guess I'll have to wait till I upgrade my RAM or till I buy an MBP to get better graphics.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Correct, MPB prev version and current (penryn) both have integrated cards:

No, they are not integrated. The MBP has a dedicated graphics system it is just soldered to the logic board making it impossible to take off. Integrated means it is part of the logic board and motherboards for PCs and Macs don't originally ship with a high end card built into the motherboard. It would actually be impossible. The MacBooks however are integrated.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
No, they are not integrated. The MBP has a dedicated graphics system it is just soldered to the logic board making it impossible to take off. Integrated means it is part of the logic board and motherboards for PCs and Macs don't originally ship with a high end card built into the motherboard. It would actually be impossible. The MacBooks however are integrated.

If the video card was just "SOLDERED" on it would be upgradable but not likely.

If you look carefully, the GPU is the middle chip. Now I'm no hardware genius nor do I claim to be, but that GPU chip seems pretty set in the logic board and does not look 'removable' by any means even de-soldering it. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the GPU part of the graphics card and by looking at the pictures of both versions the GPU seems to be part of the logic board, not just soldered on as an extension card.

So although "integrated" may not be the technically correct common term, it's still INTEGRATED into the logic board meaning it IS part of the logic board, de-soldering is NOT an option.

Yes I know what the common reference to 'integrated graphics' means, and yes it's not true integrated, but it's still integrated by similar definition. :rolleyes:

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
That'll be the day when laptops have upgradeable video cards.
Hope for the future?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Jpoon said:
That'll be the day when laptops have upgradeable video cards.
Hope for the future?

I'd settle for a low end dedicated graphics option in the mb. Heck, I'd settle for apple writing some decent drivers for the x3100.

Ah well... In a few months I'll be able to go desktop, and then I'll really be happy.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
If the video card was just "SOLDERED" on it would be upgradable but not likely.

If you look carefully, the GPU is the middle chip. Now I'm no hardware genius nor do I claim to be, but that GPU chip seems pretty set in the logic board and does not look 'removable' by any means even de-soldering it. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the GPU part of the graphics card and by looking at the pictures of both versions the GPU seems to be part of the logic board, not just soldered on as an extension card.

So although "integrated" may not be the technically correct common term, it's still INTEGRATED into the logic board meaning it IS part of the logic board, de-soldering is NOT an option.

Yes I know what the common reference to 'integrated graphics' means, and yes it's not true integrated, but it's still integrated by similar definition. :rolleyes:

Either way it's still a dedicated chipset in the MBPs.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
yup there is no real way to do this as the board was develop to be used with the crappy gpu so sadly there is no way to do, well there is always a way, i would think that with a little of tinkering you could be able to get the card in, but that requires to rebuild a few of boards parts, unsoldier and resolder all the parts of the video card, so the cost wise, it will be beyond expensive, might as well build your own mother board :O, now tghat is extreeme!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.