PDA

View Full Version : Is the iPhone the Next PC?

MacBytes
Mar 14, 2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Is the iPhone the Next PC? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080314231108)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iTeen
Mar 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
i really believe that the iphone and ipod touch have really great potential... but still, PC's suck, don't compare the two.:rolleyes:

I can't wait for the App Store...that will make the iPhone 100x better.:D

dukebound85
Mar 14, 2008, 10:19 PM
i really believe that the iphone and ipod touch have really great potential... but still, PC's suck, don't compare the two.:rolleyes:

I can't wait for the App Store...that will make the iPhone 100x better.:D

i think you missed the point

without reading the article, id say they are saying the iphone will dominate the mobile land just like how the pc did for the home....

hence the comparison

iTeen
Mar 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
i think you missed the point

without reading the article, id say they are saying the iphone will dominate the mobile land just like how the pc did for the home....

hence the comparison
Gotcha...my bad:o.
i'm a little slow today....:(

jake

chickenninja
Mar 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
i most definitely concur. the only thing that could gumm up the works is unforeseen competition that uses low price, coupled with opensource freeware. most likely origination outside of the US in a country who has a mobile market that is yet to be. i could easilly see china having a UMPC boom that could give iphone a run for its money. right now the asian/indian market is critical for :apple:
i think the european market is the strongest adversary to iphone at the moment but i forsee an innevitable victory there. as long as the apps base remains strong for iphone, european markets will follow suite.

Eraserhead
Mar 15, 2008, 07:32 AM
Apple won't dominate like the PC because its too late. The best they can do is to dominate the smart phone market like the PC.

jayducharme
Mar 15, 2008, 07:49 AM
Apple won't dominate like the PC because its too late. The best they can do is to dominate the smart phone market like the PC.

But you're missing the point of the article. It's not that the iPhone/Touch will morph into a PC. The article's point is that Apple has created a new paradigm, a technology that will not only revolutionize how people communicate but also what they expect a computer to be. PCs changed how people do business, how they communicate with their friends and how they create. The iPhone is about to change all that once again. No longer will people have to wait to get home to work on a document or a spreadsheet, or communicate or play games. And they won't have to carry a laptop either. (That why I'm still perplexed by the Air; it's almost a transition device between a Macbook and what the iPhone will eventually be.)

The author points out, too, that the iPhone won't reach its full potential until technology (in the form of the Intel Atom chip) catches up with Apple's vision. But Apple has gotten the basics down, with its simple but effective interface. It's only a matter of time before the PC seems as antiquated as a typewriter (which, even so, still has its place in the office).

Eraserhead
Mar 15, 2008, 07:59 AM
But you're missing the point of the article. It's not that the iPhone/Touch will morph into a PC.

I'm just saying that the mobile phone has already sold several billion copies of itself, its just too hard to dominate an established market like that.

The smartphone is cool, but won't dominate the world just yet as its not that much better than a PC.

cohibadad
Mar 15, 2008, 10:02 AM
seems pretty obvious the iPhone is a game changer. I don't see any real competition for it for quite some time as it sweeps across the globe. We are witnessing a new age.

Ugg
Mar 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm just saying that the mobile phone has already sold several billion copies of itself, its just too hard to dominate an established market like that.

The smartphone is cool, but won't dominate the world just yet as its not that much better than a PC.

The iPhone isn't just a mobile phone. I think viewing it primarily as a phone is a big mistake.

I agree that smartphones have a long way to go before they dominate the world. Battery life is a huge issue. However, I agree with jayducharme that the iPhone is a new paradigm just like the iPod was.

In the future, the gap between the Air and the iPhone will disappear and the mobile office will be simply one device, not a multitude. Most importantly, you won't need an office envelope to fit it into, it'll fit in your pocket.