Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Since Steve publicly admits his like of Sony and intention to be better than them.

So, how about this?

You want a rack mountable server?

You want a sleeker G5 case?

Well, what about a Playstation 2 style case?

It could be narrower in the virtical position when placed on the desktop upright because of the virtical driveBay.....And it could have brackets supplied (like my ProTools DIGI001) that extend it to fit in a server rack horizontally.

My cr@p ASCI art attempt at it....

. | |
. | |
. | | _ _ _ _
. / \ _ _ _ _

And how may people need/use 4 handles on their current case, I think 1 would be enough.

Oh, and how about colour?

PS why did they drop the handle on the eMac

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: G5 case? - How about a PS2 style design?

Originally posted by mnm
Since Steve publicly admits his like of Sony and intention to be better than them.

So, how about this?

You want a rack mountable server?

You want a sleeker G5 case?

Well, what about a Playstation 2 style case?

It could be narrower in the virtical position when placed on the desktop upright because of the virtical driveBay.....And it could have brackets supplied (like my ProTools DIGI001) that extend it to fit in a server rack horizontally.

A vertical tower with a narrow layout like that would put the optical drive in the vertical position. This would make the usuable speed for these drives slower than if they were left horizontal. I don't know why this is, but Steve Jobs said this back when they intro'd the new iMac.

Just a thought.

mnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
interesting

maybe i'll put by g4 on it's side and see if i can still burn at 16x speeds,

anyway the superdrives don't spin very fast, they have higher data rates per revolution.

I'm sure they could use those springloaded center atachments that CD walkman's have, don't reall know though.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

Originally posted by mnm

And how may people need/use 4 handles on their current case, I think 1 would be enough.

For the same reason you have 4 handles on the desktop case you don't have a handle on the eMac on the top. Its all about the weight of the machine.

For the desk top, two handles are the feet and the other two make it easy to move around. Have you ever lifted one. While not super heavy, you definitely feel better having two hands on it.

And as for the eMac, well I'm sure they didn't want to put a handle on the thing because with the 17" screen its going to weigh a lot more. I'll have to go find one and see for myself. Are they going to be in the Apple Stores? I'm going to one this weekend, I hope to see all the new equipment.

I hope I don't drool on the new TiPB:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I believe that both optical drives and hard drives perform best when horizontal. Hard drives can be more forgiving, since everything is internal, but opticals are not so.

As for the handles, I go along with dukestreet on this. I have lifted more then my share of G3 and G4 towers and the two handles on the top make things much easier. Using one hand on it makes it rather heavy, at least compared to using both hands.

mnm, I gather that you have a tower with the cd-rw drive, not the combo or super. Good luck in getting reliable burns time after time with it on it's side. One or two is not an accurate test of it. More along the lines of 50-100+ would be.

Dukestreet... I am about to head out to get my new TiBook (800MHz model, right off the shelf). I should be back with it early this afternoon, along with a new base station (going for that $100 off deal). I already have a bunch of paper towels ready to catch the drool... so that I don't short it out. :D

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Dukestreet... I am about to head out to get my new TiBook (800MHz model, right off the shelf). I should be back with it early this afternoon, along with a new base station (going for that $100 off deal). :D

let's see...2002 truck, 2002 hog, 2002 tibook...

you are hereby awarded the alan greenspan medal of honor:D

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
It's in the bearings.

I believe that standart drive spindles are on bearings packed for axial weight load, which puts them effectively butted against the tips of the assembly where as if you were building for radial (across the axis) weight load you'd want them arranged to envelop the tips of the assembly and be packed in a different orientation. Add to this the "flutter" inherent in a CD while spinning and accurate writes go out the window along with drive life.

mnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
ok

OK, but co's already sell kits to rack mount G4's horizontally, how about a 90 degree changable drive like on the Nec PC towers?

any way, the new G5 could potentially weigh around the same as the new LCD iMac, without the Panel.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO

Originally posted by mnm

Easy. You do NOT want to be encouraging students to touch, move or otherwise disturb the computer, and a handle is like a sign that says "pick me up for no good reason." Kids have a knack for doing really stupid things to really expensive pieces of hardware. Personally, I think a computer designed specifically for education should include a trackpad instead of a mouse (no moving parts) and a built-in way to bolt all of it securely and semi-permanently to the desktop.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: G5 case? - How about a PS2 style design?

Originally posted by ftaok
A vertical tower with a narrow layout like that would put the optical drive in the vertical position. This would make the usuable speed for these drives slower than if they were left horizontal. I don't know why this is, but Steve Jobs said this back when they intro'd the new iMac.

Just a thought.

that was in the old days, but putting any drive vertical or horizontal will not make a measurable difference

steve jobs should stick to being a ceo and not state techie facts and figures...jobs is not an engineer... http://www.woz.org

before he put out os x, he told reporters that unix could not ever be used with a mac, and that only ibm and motorola could make processors for a mac platform...steve, i ain't in your reality distortion field

when i worked in sales at office depot, compaq came out with an ultrathin desktop that could be placed under the lcd monitor or stood up vertically next to it...very cool for compaq

i heard concerns about mounting g3 and g4 towers vertically but there are products on the market that do just that

i even had questions about desktops that were designed to have crts mounted on top of them and people would ask "won't that monitor damage the cpu because of its weight"

they were worried about the chasis caving in...well, so far, no caved in chasis...he he

"well, i wouldn't buy a hundred pound 24" inch crt and place it on that dinky chasis";)

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Hehe. All this talk about vertical CDROMs reminds me of the Compaq EZ2000, (aka the "little blue toaster that couldn't"). I fiddled with one at Best Buy, pressed the eject button and tried to put a CD in, but since there were no clips on the tray, the CD would just fall down. I tried holding the CD to the tray as it closed, but as soon as I released my finger, the cd would slip and get jammed in the tray. :rolleyes:

Either the clips broke off, the CDROM was a replacement CDROM, or Com"crap" has one sh**ty product design team.......or, all of the above.

(click to enlarge)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
There is only so much leeway you have in tower design because you have to allow room for expandibility (standard sized parts, more drives, more cables, etc.,) and proper air flow. Now, w/an iMac you can make it pretty much any dang shape/size you please cuz it's all you can't expand it (internally) for crap.

Personally I hope the G5 has more of a graphite than quicksilver look. The Quicksilver loox much sleeker<sp?>, but it is also, IMO, very bland.

Lethal

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Steve said at MWSF that the vertical optical drive wouldn't work because it would slow the drive down.

(when he was debunking the LCD iMac-like Studio Display rumor)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Kid Red
Steve said at MWSF that the vertical optical drive wouldn't work because it would slow the drive down.

(when he was debunking the LCD iMac-like Studio Display rumor)

oh my god, sj should just shut up sometimes:p ]

it reminds of me when i took sex ed and some teens thought that doing it vertically would allow gravity to keep the sperm from reaching the egg

ooh, gravity is sooo mysterious, steve jobs:rolleyes:

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by jefhatfield

oh my god, sj should just shut up sometimes:p ]

it reminds of me when i took sex ed and some teens thought that doing it vertically would allow gravity to keep the sperm from reaching the egg

ooh, gravity is sooo mysterious, steve jobs:rolleyes:

actually, that's harsh...he he

we should just create an optical drive so fast that it would create a gravity field so powerful that we could bend the space time field and port steve jobs back into the past and allow him to take some proper science classes (rather than dropping acid at u.c. berkeley as a high school wanna be):D

sometimes, i think sj smokes too much

mnm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
And the Cube

Did the cube fail then because it had a virtically mounted optical drive. Did SJ say all this before of after that?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: And the Cube

Originally posted by mnm
Did the cube fail then because it had a virtically mounted optical drive. Did SJ say all this before of after that?

If I remember correctly, the cube failed due to bad press and low sales volume. In my experience, having the drive mounted vertically made it more difficult to determine how to insert the disc's. Never really sure if I was putting the label on the correct side (in the drive). Being vertical probably reduced the rpm's of the drives some, but I don't think it has affected the life of the drives or the computer. The cube just didn't live up to the [sales] standards of other Mac systems, so it was dropped.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Whatever Ives and Co. have in store for the G5 case..... it'll be revolutionary and damn cool!!

They pretty much cannot but a foot wrong wrong unless they make it SNOW (Eww) that is...... :p :p :p

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
You'll need more mass

Originally posted by jefhatfield
...we should just create an optical drive so fast that it would create a gravity field so powerful that we could bend the space time field...

Actualy the gravity field cannot be generated in this way -- you will need mass or another way is to create a sort of "virtual" mass to fool the universe into thinking it is real mass and there by bend space/time. This is done using a variation of Tesla's calculations relating to his coil experiments and applying them to rocks found in Antarctica.

The coolest thing is when you direct the virtual mass away from you, so that it doesn't weigh you down more than the 1G we are used to, and create a sort of bent-space pipeline. But as you accellerate through space, the sheilding is adjusted to pull you along with it. To you it feels as though you weren't moving at all - there isn't any stress affecting your body. And the
"speed" at which you move is beyond what we perceive as the standard time/distance calculation. You have to redefine what "speed" is. Moving through this pipeline is awesome, as it looks to the naked eye as though you just jumped from one place to another without moving through the in between space -- also sometimes called a "hyper-leap" or "hyperspace" travel. There are some side affects that are being worked out, but....

so I heard.... ;)

Back to Steve, he didn't say that it "wouldn't work". He said that it would significantly slow down so as not to be enjoyable to use any more. He wanted the consumers/users to get the full "experience" of using the new iMac.

I am new to Macs and have one of these new iMacs - I got it in January and I appreciate all of the thought that went into this thing.

I say ease up on Steve - he is trying and doing a darn good job at getting products out that are stable - whether it be hardware, OS, or just iSoftware.

Also remember, it isn't Steve alone - he took a step back and got a massive team of incredible Engineers, Developers, and "idea" people -- he has learned a little from his past mistakes.

Quark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.