PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks that the iTunes store does not have enough of a variety of music?

matthew_goldin
Nov 2, 2003, 10:48 AM
iTunes has only the most pupular music right now. There is almost no classical, or jazz.:(

Jetson
Nov 2, 2003, 11:05 AM
I agree. For example, there aren't any Mozart symphonies. And certain major artists don't yet have their discographies listed.

I think that iTunes is fantastic. I've found a lot of good selections on iTunes. But it still has a long way to go before it becomes an authoritative music source, like say Amazon.com. Even Amazon has a lot of stuff missing. I also shop at Tower Records, Columbia House and do web searches to find some music.

matthew_goldin
Nov 2, 2003, 11:57 AM
Yes. They also have no songs of The Beatles which I happen to enjoy. Amazon does have a satisfying amount of Classical, though. That is true. In fact, a couple months ago I purchased Beethoven's 5th and 7th. I also purchased Haydn's trumpet concerto. But I do believ that Apple will attempt to broaden the store. It already has the edge in music, due to the ipod. It won't want to miss the oppurtunities presented by the store.

krossfyter
Nov 3, 2003, 07:27 AM
who knows why this is so?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 3, 2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
who knows why this is so?

they're still growing.

I agree that the range of music is a little limited - but as the idea of the music store takes off and as soon as Apple can convince more artist/labels to get with the game we'll be seeing more.

D

wordmunger
Nov 3, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Jetson
I agree. For example, there aren't any Mozart symphonies.

Have you tried the power search? You can specify the composer there. I was able to find a couple symphonies that way:

Here (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=703063&selectedItemId=703002)

I hadn't even noticed the power search option until today--just click on the magnifying glass in the search window.

Capt Underpants
Nov 3, 2003, 05:00 PM
I just wish they had Linkin Park... Hardly classical, but I send in requests for them all of the time...

iGav
Nov 4, 2003, 03:58 AM
everything has to start somewhere.... the selection will grow ;)

rfenik
Nov 4, 2003, 05:35 PM
I would like to see the entire Metal Blade record label on iTunes. That would bring a lot of diversity to the store... then i would actually buy some songs.

Juventuz
Nov 4, 2003, 11:45 PM
I would like to see the indy labels. I know Jobs claimed that they've got them now and will have more, but I have yet to see any of the well established labels or bands. Kind of disappointing.

The Sheck
Nov 5, 2003, 02:14 PM
The Beatles have decided they're not selling their music online AT ALL. They don't see a future in it, is the official explanation.

However, if I remember correctly, they were very late in allowing their music to come out on CDs, so it may happen once things like the itunes store becomes more established.

sketchy
Nov 5, 2003, 02:23 PM
The beatles do not like innovation, and they are sueing apple over the store...

I think they have a nice selection of mainstream music. I listen to a lot of electro and EBM. There is almost none inthe store. I would love to see Metropolis Records get added and some more trance and house music.

Mammoth just got some of their stuff up (Machines of Loving Grace (mid 90's industrial)) and there is some trance, but I would like more.

Where's VNV Nation >>>?

Dave

syco
Nov 5, 2003, 09:38 PM
MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO MORE TECHNO!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the selection is quite lacking, despite having 400,000 tracks.

Jetson
Nov 6, 2003, 02:43 AM
I don't like how some artists only offer partial albums. They usually leave off their biggest hits. I guess they're afraid that offering their best songs will cannabalize their CD sales. One example is Dire Straits - they've got practically everything listed but the track "Money for Nothing".

eyelikeart
Nov 6, 2003, 08:26 AM
The partial albums do suck, and I still don't quite understand the logistics behind partial album offerings.

Also, it still peeves me whenever there is a full album that I have to buy in pieces.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding one particular Robert Cray Band song, All the Way. :(

jamesatzones
Nov 6, 2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by sketchy
The beatles do not like innovation, and they are sueing apple over the store...>>>?

Dave

The Beatles aer yesterday's news. If they don't change their attitude where they are above everyone they will end up down the same path as so many other bands.

The music store is still rather new, it will expand and for the most part I have no problems with the selection. If I can't find a song I am looking for I just go to the store and buy the album, which is good instead of sitting in front of a computer for 14 hours a day.

SeaFox
Nov 8, 2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
The partial albums do suck, and I still don't quite understand the logistics behind partial album offerings.

Also, it still peeves me whenever there is a full album that I have to buy in pieces.

What I don't understand is I've found some tracks that are only available as an album purchase. :mad:

There was a song in the Halloween recommendations I wanted and I didn't get it because I couldn't buy it by itself.

...Which I thought was a requirement in the iTMS licensing. :confused:

Dahl
Nov 14, 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by matthew_goldin
iTunes has only the most pupular music right now. There is almost no classical, or jazz.:(
They have a broad selection, but not very deep. But that will hopefully change with time. First they need to put up the music, most people buy. There is a ton of music, that I like that's not up, but give them time.

Island Roots
Nov 14, 2003, 10:19 PM
It doesn't bother me as I'm into the hip-hop/alternative/rock genres.

They're adding a heck of a lot of new music every week :)

Hawaii's Boy
Nov 15, 2003, 02:55 AM
I like Hip-Hop, R&B, and Hawaiian.

wish they had Hawaiian(But I doubt it)

LethalWolfe
Nov 16, 2003, 12:59 AM
Having a larger and broader selection of music in the iTMS is only to Apple's bennefit so I'm sure they are doing everything they can to get more tracks in the store. But Apple can't move any faster than the legal departments of the artists and labels they are trying to get to join iTMS. Same reason that Apple hasn't rolled out iTMS outside of the US. There is just a massive, confusing, convoluted amount of copyright and distribution legality that has to be delt with. And some artists, like Linkin Park IIRC, have said they don't want to sell their music on-line at this time. People brought up the Beatles, doesn't Michael Jackson own most of the Beatles catalog meaning Apple would have to deal w/Jacko to get those songs onto iTMS, correct?

Someone mentioned Metal Blade... I can't wait for Century Media to get onboard w/iTMS. Of course I don't see that happening in the near future 'cause most of bands on Century media are European.

Lethal

Dahl
Nov 16, 2003, 02:25 AM
I haven't browsed iTMS that much, but I saw an album by Tsar and I thought they were dropped by their label. It's great if the labels can give their bands more chances with iTunes, if they fail to catch on in regular stores.

Island Roots
Nov 16, 2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Hawaii's Boy
wish they had Hawaiian(But I doubt it)

Ah yes, Hawaiian would be good :)