Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbutta224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
can anyone please help my g4 will turn on you hear the fan real quick then the start up sound then the a grey screen with the apple pops up the the wheel starts spinning and then it wont do anything else. someone says my harddrive may be done but i dont know alot about computers so is there anything i can try to get it to boot up if so let me know pleasee!!!

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
boot with extensions off, holding shift at startup i think. you could also reset the PRAM. otherwise you can boot off you install disk or external HD and test your internal HD with DiskUtility.

jbutta224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
i did the shift thing and the only thing that does when i start up is the grey screen with the apple and the spinning wheel doesnt appear. resetting the pram didnt work and i have no disks im in japan right now but thank does anyone else have any other ideas

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
i did the shift thing and the only thing that does when i start up is the grey screen with the apple and the spinning wheel doesnt appear. resetting the pram didnt work and i have no disks im in japan right now but thank does anyone else have any other ideas

I had an iBook with your exact same problem. Chances are, you need a new hard drive.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.