PDA

View Full Version : 17"powerbook, Please Read :) free panther???

thumper
Nov 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
HD speed of 4200rpms is way too slow!
i didnt think about this when i bought it but i can barely play back a 16 track protools session without buffer problems.
even the upgrade to 5400rpms is still WAY to slow. i was checking PC notebooks and most of them are 7000and something rpm's which is what i need to run protools and other audio apps.
i thought since this was apples "flagship notebook" it would be able to run anything...
i hate how apple always holds back on features so the can offer an upgraded model in 6months... like whats was up with the first 17"pb not having USB 2?!?!
that was just silly.

dont get me wrong here, this powerbook is the best computer ive ever owned, i love it!

ok, so now i have 2 questions,

1, has anyone upgraded to 7000rpm drive themselfs?

2, i bought my powerbook on Oct 17, should i be getting PANTHER FOR FREE???

hugemullens
Nov 2, 2003, 11:27 AM
umm.....very very very very very few pc laptops have 7200 rpm hard drives. Its mostly specality gamers notebooks with 1 hour battery life. If you doing anything serious that requires disk speed, get a firewire drive dude. And yes, i belive you should be getting panther, but i am not 100% sure.

thumper
Nov 2, 2003, 11:34 AM
firewire drive, now theres an idea! thanks!

i phones apple about the panther thing, and they told me i have to pay $30 to upgrade to panther... which is screwy cuz people who bought a G5's get panther for free, so whats the differecne if i buy a G5 or a powerbook, if they get it for free then so should i..

QCassidy352
Nov 2, 2003, 12:03 PM
I believe you get panther for "free" with just a $20 shipping charge. Same as the G5 buyers.

WinterMute
Nov 2, 2003, 04:00 PM
It's never a very good idea to use a local drive as an audio or video scratch disc, it's too difficult to keep clean and it has to do too much other work, remember OSX accesses the disc a lot more.

I have a 7200rpm Lacie FW drive that I use for all A/V work, and its fine with ProTools, Logic, FCP etc.

I can get around 22 tracks and rudimentary FX off the 4200 drive in the PB, provided I don't try overdubbing. It's a 1Ghz 17"

A FW800 drive would be an even better bet.

Anna
Nov 2, 2003, 07:15 PM
Yes...you should be getting panther.

I use a La Cie FW800 ext HD @ 72000 and is is great for Protools...never had buffer probs

WinterMute
Nov 3, 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Anna
Yes...you should be getting panther.

I use a La Cie FW800 ext HD @ 72000 and is is great for Protools...never had buffer probs

72000?:eek: :eek:

That thing should fly right off the desktop:D

Seriously, how are you finding the FW800, I've tried a couple of early ones, but was disappointed, mainly due to the cludged early enclosures, I hear they are better now, what do you think?

g808
Nov 3, 2003, 03:06 PM
I purchased by 17" PB on 10/21 and it did not come with Panther installed. I had to pay $20 shipping for the "free" upgrade.

CrackedButter
Nov 3, 2003, 06:02 PM
I got mine on thursday and rather than pay for an upgrade, i've paid the edu price for the full monty.

Should be here tomorrow as well!!!

PLEASPLEASEPLEASE!!!