PDA

View Full Version : MAC Upgrading

HisInfernlMjsty
Nov 2, 2003, 11:31 AM
I currently have a Mac, which I think is awfully slow. And I would like to have a faster mac, so I can get into video editing (Final Cut Pro) Currently: Here are the specs as I remeber them:

400mhz
30gb Hd
128 mb Ram
ATI 128 Card (dunno if the 128 means 128mb of memory)

Thats all i can think of now. I would like a greater processor speed. And a bigger harddrive and more ram is obvious. My question really lies in, can I get a processor upgrade for my mac like i could with a pc? or get a new motherboard and processor? I would just like to know if this is possable, and if so, can someone link me to places that I could buy a motherboard and processor.

Or, maybe it would just be better to just buy a new Mac?

Thank you.

edesignuk
Nov 2, 2003, 11:34 AM
U need a new Mac, even if you could get a CPU upgrade there wouldn't be much point. They are expensive, and you wouldn't really see the benefit due to your slow BUS speed ect. So yeah, u need a new Mac IMO.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 2, 2003, 11:47 AM
if he has a 400 G4 tower then he has a 100 bus. he still could put in a g4 say 1 gig OWC or giga & decent video card say ati 9000 and up your ram but for almost the same price you could get a new emac at 1 gig that would be faster then your old machine that was upgraded and get new panther with it. Time for new Mac but those upgrades could keep you going on that old machine for another year or two. ask yourself how much i want to spend and go from there.

krimson
Nov 4, 2003, 12:56 PM
what's your budget?
New eMac's around $799 1ghz, 128mb, 40gb, cd-rw,radeon 7500 from the apple store. (refurbs can be good if you can find/trust them G4MDD 1.25dual approx $1300)

If you can afford another g4/g5, definately go that route. If you can't I'd suggest get more RAM, 128 isn't going to cut it.

Radeon 9000 can be found for around $149 (best i've casually seen)
G4/800mhz upgrade $250'ish
1GB RAM $200

You'll probably want at least another drive (or two) for storage and scratch use. on sale IDE drives $100 for a rather large one.

that's about $700 in upgrades right there. The only thing i can say is that if you dont have the $$$ to buy a new Mac, at least you can make incremental upgrades.

hope that helps.