Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazyapplez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Hey guys.... I have a problem... or my powerbook has..

Ok here is the deal..

My Powerbook worked perfectly some time ago.. But then, a week ago or something like that, it started actin weird... Frezz problems etc..

But now it only the display only shows these lines sideways(NOT! vertical)..

Link to the problem
http://www.dba.dk/asp/soegning/detail.asp?annonceid=54130983

Is it the graphics? And will i be able to fix it with a shim or something like that, like I did in the iBook G4? (link to the iBook G4 fix:http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/)

Any help would be appreciated!

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
It's most likely a logic board problem but opening it up and checking the connection to the screen might just work.

It's not difficult opening up the 12" Powerbook so it might just be worth it. You might just be able to sell it for more than 1500,- :)

Crazyapplez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
It's most likely a logic board problem but opening it up and checking the connection to the screen might just work.

It's not difficult opening up the 12" Powerbook so it might just be worth it. You might just be able to sell it for more than 1500,- :)

But if it indeed is the logic board, will i be able to fix it, without replaceing it... Like in the iBook G4?

IainThornton

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
That shim may work, but even if it did it's only a temporary fix. I'm not convinced it's the same problem as the iBook in the link, therefore it wouldn't work and even if it did work, that PowerBook will still die one day.
It's possible it's the same problem that the iBook G3 and G4 experience but unlikely. In the iBook it is usually down to people picking the 'book up with one hand and the motherboard being put under stress. The AlBook (like yours) doesn't suffer from this because the case has much more rigidity. Also it has a different internal layout to an iBook.

Crazyapplez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
That shim may work, but even if it did it's only a temporary fix. I'm not convinced it's the same problem as the iBook in the link, therefore it wouldn't work and even if it did work, that PowerBook will still die one day.
It's possible it's the same problem that the iBook G3 and G4 experience but unlikely. In the iBook it is usually down to people picking the 'book up with one hand and the motherboard being put under stress. The AlBook (like yours) doesn't suffer from this because the case has much more rigidity. Also it has a different internal layout to an iBook.

Oh ok... I know that to enter the motherboard on a iBook you only have to remove the lowercase, and with powerbook you har to remove the topcase to enter the motherboard... But doesnt it look like there is something wrong(bad soldering?) on the GPU?

And is my problem common?

IainThornton

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
Oh ok... I know that to enter the motherboard on a iBook you only have to remove the lowercase, and with powerbook you har to remove the topcase to enter the motherboard... But doesnt it look like there is something wrong(bad soldering?) on the GPU?

And is my problem common?

It's common on G3 iBooks, less common on G4 iBooks (but this could be just that they haven't had time to develop the fault yet). I've heard of graphics issues on G4 PowerBooks but I'm pretty sure the problem fixed in that iBook with the shim is unheard of on PowerBooks. However, I concede it does exhibit similar symptoms. Is it like this always or does it only do this after an extended period of use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.