Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
I bought a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter and I was wondering if I would be able to attach a DVI to VGA converter so I could also hook it up to a VGA port?

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
I am trying to get it to work and it is detecting my Dell 20" Widescreen monitor although it is not connecting that or I am just missing something haha

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Another way apply makes money out of you :(
See how the DVI adapter doesn't have 4 pins above + below the flat pin? Those four pins are used to analogue, but Apple decided to remove them, meaning you have to buy the VGA adapter as well.
I was in the same boat as you, but was forced to buy both. I used a Mini DVI -> VGA -> DVI setup. My monitor was detected, but it wouldn't work. I had to buy a DVI adapter, and that solved the problem.

Why con us of yet more money Apple?! We all love you, so why not be nice back?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Another way apply makes money out of you :(
See how the DVI adapter doesn't have 4 pins above + below the flat pin? Those four pins are used to analogue, but Apple decided to remove them, meaning you have to buy the VGA adapter as well.
I was in the same boat as you, but was forced to buy both. I used a Mini DVI -> VGA -> DVI setup. My monitor was detected, but it wouldn't work. I had to buy a DVI adapter, and that solved the problem.

Why con us of yet more money Apple?! We all love you, so why not be nice back?

Are you sure?

The way you tried, mini-DVI -> VGA -> DVI doesn't do anything because VGA -> DVI won't make it a digital connection, it will just make it work with DVI ports of monitors. So, if I plugged a DVI -> VGA connector into the back of my computer, and then plugged a VGA -> DVI connector into that, it would be using an analog signal.

It does sound plausible that it wouldn't work, but I know for a fact your way would never work.

I have my MacBook using mini-DVI -> VGA adapter and it looks fantastic - I use Windows with DVI and Mac with VGA, and because of the font smoothing options OS X offers, VGA looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.