PDA

View Full Version : Apple's new Mac Pro is a speed demon

MacBytes
Mar 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Apple's new Mac Pro is a speed demon (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080315154822)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Genghis Khan
Mar 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Only 3 times faster than a standard mac mini:confused:

jayducharme
Mar 15, 2008, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. I would expect a bit more speed for the extra $2000.

I also thought the comment on memory prices was remarkable: $9100 for 32 gb of RAM. I bought 4 gb of Macbook memory from Crucial for $100. I just checked and Crucial is selling 8 gb of RAM for a MacPro at a whopping $1049! That seems a bit absurd when a 32gb Touch is selling for $499. I know the MacPro uses a special type of memory, but sheesh. :confused:

Full of Win
Mar 15, 2008, 06:04 PM

I also thought the comment on memory prices was remarkable: $9100 for 32 gb of RAM. I bought 4 gb of Macbook memory from Crucial for $100. I just checked and Crucial is selling 8 gb of RAM for a MacPro at a whopping $1049! That seems a bit absurd when a 32gb Touch is selling for $499. I know the MacPro uses a special type of memory, but sheesh. :confused:

To compare RAM vs. ROM is way off. It's like me saying - 4 GB of RAM for my MacBook is a rip because I can a 4.7 GB DVD for less than 50 cents. With that said, the prices on that type of RAM has gone down a lot since late 2006.

Drumjim85
Mar 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
I found 4gb of ram for the new mac pro for $220...
And yes the ram is special.. ECC fully buffered.

SimonMW
Mar 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
This is why I wasn't too bothered about getting my quad core, even though they brought out the new eight cores 2 months later. Even if the new ones are twice as fast in some operations, it isn't enough to make me wish I had waited.

Now, 16 or 32 cores and the speed increases there, then you'd be talking and I'd consider upgrading.

johnnyjibbs
Mar 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
To be expected. Those that need the most speed now to be competitive in business buy a Mac Pro. For those where processing is less time-critical can afford to wait a couple of years and get the same speed with a Mac Mini. That doesn't help if you need a 30" screen, but you can see the point.

CWallace
Mar 16, 2008, 03:28 PM

Depends on what you're doing. Notice the DVD to MP4 conversion went from almost four hours on the Mini to a bit more then forty minutes on the Mac Pro. And the Mini took twice as long as the actual AVI file's length to convert it to MP4 where as the Mac Pro did it in one-quarter the actual runtime.

I have an Al 24" iMac and I love it for everything I do now, but I plan to convert my DVD and AVI files to MP4 to use with an :apple:TV so I am buying a Mac Pro because it will save me weeks, literally, in time as well as allowing me to continue working normally while the Mac Pro chews through the data in the background.

mklos
Mar 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
I found 4gb of ram for the new mac pro for $220...
And yes the ram is special.. ECC fully buffered.

Well not all FB ECC RAM is created the same. It may be cheap, but when it starts to get hotter than the more expensive RAM would, the Mac Pro will have to clock it down, and thus, you start to lose performance. So it may be cheap, but you'll definitely get what you pay for.

utekineir
Mar 16, 2008, 05:32 PM
Depends on what you're doing. Notice the DVD to MP4 conversion went from almost four hours on the Mini to a bit more then forty minutes on the Mac Pro. And the Mini took twice as long as the actual AVI file's length to convert it to MP4 where as the Mac Pro did it in one-quarter the actual runtime.

I have an Al 24" iMac and I love it for everything I do now, but I plan to convert my DVD and AVI files to MP4 to use with an :apple:TV so I am buying a Mac Pro because it will save me weeks, literally, in time as well as allowing me to continue working normally while the Mac Pro chews through the data in the background.

qft, i just got a new baseline mac pro after having a mac mini for the last several months.

Encoding movies for atv on the mini means doing about 5 or 6 a day and not being able to do much else on the machine.

On the mac pro even with the base 2 gigs ram i was encoding 3 moves at a time each one much faster than the mini did one, and still doing anything else i wanted to do on the machine. It would encode about 15 movies overnight while i was sleeping. The mac mini would have done about 2 in that time.

The multitasking really is phenominal. Now with 10 gigs ram I can encode 3 movies, run vista64 in vmware, be watching tv off my slingbox, still have all the standard stuff going (itunes, mail, chat, etc) and be able to play wow at a frame rate not too far off from what it gets without anything else running.

No comparison to a mini.

Also you can order 8 gigs of ram for $400 online.

Analog Kid
Mar 16, 2008, 09:15 PM
My dual 2.5GHz G5 died last month and I replaced it with a 2.8x8. Aperture goes much more smoothly, though it wasn't a slouch on the old machine. The biggest difference I've seen, as others have pointed out, is that there's always room for another process. I can run a simulation and write the documents at the same time, manipulating figures and images as I go.

The biggest lag I see, particularly in Aperture and Finder, is that the hard drives are now a serious bottleneck. Thumbnailing only keeps the cores partially occupied because they have to wait for the data to come off the disk. I've got two 500GBs in a software RAID, and I'm thinking of adding two more to see if that gives me a boost.
qft, i just got a new baseline mac pro after having a mac mini for the last several months.

Encoding movies for atv on the mini means doing about 5 or 6 a day and not being able to do much else on the machine.

On the mac pro even with the base 2 gigs ram i was encoding 3 moves at a time each one much faster than the mini did one, and still doing anything else i wanted to do on the machine. It would encode about 15 movies overnight while i was sleeping. The mac mini would have done about 2 in that time.

The multitasking really is phenominal. Now with 10 gigs ram I can encode 3 movies, run vista64 in vmware, be watching tv off my slingbox, still have all the standard stuff going (itunes, mail, chat, etc) and be able to play wow at a frame rate not too far off from what it gets without anything else running.
Do you ever do any work? :D

UCLA-Bruin
Mar 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
Do you ever do any work? :D

No kidding. I'm not worried about this guy's computer evaluation so much as his existential dilemma manifest by his own description of his computer tasks. Get a life, not just an iLife. :D This guy sounds like he needs some direction, maybe a counselor or mentor or something? Dude, here's some free advice - trade your Pro in for a laptop and use it outdoors among nature - watch sunsets and sunrises - get a slower computer and do some painting while you wait for the encoding. Pry your cheese-puff crusted hands :) from the keyboard and move on with your life. Learn to surf.

TravisReynolds
Mar 16, 2008, 10:59 PM
This just makes me jelous

utekineir
Mar 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
I've had it for about 3 days, its winter and its a weekend. Sorry if the only thing i've had to do in that time on it is dicking around, i know that doesn't meet your requirements sir. Obviously when its encoding i need to sit by it the entire time.

I'll let you know when my fat cheese puff eating ass has had it long enough to put it to real use. Thanks for assuming you know me though. Irl i'm fat pale bald and i live in a basement.

Have a nice day

Drumjim85
Mar 17, 2008, 12:28 PM
Well not all FB ECC RAM is created the same. It may be cheap, but when it starts to get hotter than the more expensive RAM would, the Mac Pro will have to clock it down, and thus, you start to lose performance. So it may be cheap, but you'll definitely get what you pay for.

so you're saying i should get the stock apple ram?? cause it's a lot more money...

Analog Kid
Mar 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
I've had it for about 3 days, its winter and its a weekend. Sorry if the only thing i've had to do in that time on it is dicking around, i know that doesn't meet your requirements sir. Obviously when its encoding i need to sit by it the entire time...
Not sure if your response was meant to include me. I wasn't trying to be cutting, just noticed that the "benchmarking" tasks were kinda funny. If you take a slice of anyone's life it never represents the whole-- and therein lies the humor. No offense meant.

Tallest Skil
Mar 17, 2008, 03:25 PM
so you're saying i should get the stock apple ram?? cause it's a lot more money...

He's saying to only get RAM from Apple dealers with the Mac Pro heatsink, like OWC. There are generic server FB-DIMMs that have mediocre heatsinks out there.

NEVER buy more than the stock RAM from Apple.

twoodcc
Mar 17, 2008, 09:40 PM
i liked the article. made me think back when i first got my 1st gen mac pro. it's still serving me well. when we get over 10 cores, i'll think about adding a second mac pro to my network :cool: