Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
why does my Ical icon say Jul 17 in the dock when i start up my mac...then when i open the app it shows the right date ?

I know this is small...but i was just wondering.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
because thats the orignial icon. ical only changes the icon once you open it. the reason it says july 17 is becuase that was the day of macworld when it was introduced. i wish the icon would change without you having to open it. actually i wish apple would do a lot of things with ical. they could make a good and powerful enterprise like calendar pro for offices and stuff.

iJon

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Call me 'old school'I find a wall calender and a diary much more usefull because I don't have to start my computer to see what I have on for the day. iJon makes a good point though, that with a little tweaking the app could become quite powerful.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Call me 'old school'I find a wall calender and a diary much more usefull because I don't have to start my computer to see what I have on for the day. iJon makes a good point though, that with a little tweaking the app could become quite powerful.

yes but your analog calendar can't email invites to meetings, or automatically sync other calendars from the web, or share calendars to the web, or a host of other things. when you get into that stuff, having iCal open is a godsend-- you shouldn't have to start your computer anyway, it should be asleep, meaning that total time to iCal should be no more than 10 seconds-- about the time it takes to flip a planner open to the right date.

pnw

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
thats the stupidest thing EVER !

Why woudl you have it stuck on a silly introduced date !?

lol

wow....

thanks guys

oh well.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by paulwhannel
yes but your analog calendar can't email invites to meetings, or automatically sync other calendars from the web, or share calendars to the web, or a host of other things. when you get into that stuff, having iCal open is a godsend-- you shouldn't have to start your computer anyway, it should be asleep, meaning that total time to iCal should be no more than 10 seconds-- about the time it takes to flip a planner open to the right date.

pnw

Like I said call me old school.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
iCal is pretty cool, but yeah, it is pretty annoying that you have to open it after restart to get the correct date. You'd think that if it can sync everything on any Mac wherever you are in the world then it should do a simple thing like show the current date.

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
I think that in order for iCal to show the correct date on startup, at least under the current dock system, it would have to start up and then set the dock icon. So basically, the application would have to be launched, or at least partially launched. And if you're doing that, you might as well just drag it into the login items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.