Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
I realize the title sounds vague, so I'll try to clarify. :)

When I reply to a thread, I sometimes realize that I had wanted to quote more posts than I had selected via multiquote, and have to go and find the post again so I can get the Post ID #.

If the post is a recent one, you can usually find the ID number by viewing the "Topic Review" and putting your cursor over a post:

20080316-c6dpkap1hy6htud5gqxdxdnqt9.jpg

However, this is a bit awkward and isn't optimal.

So, I was wondering if there is a way to have the Post ID # appear in the Topic Review underneath the name of the poster like so:

20080316-mwcx63rt3s5e8qf13b12wk65bq.jpg

Or, if there is another quick way to get access to Post ID #s, I'm all ears (or eyes as a forum would have it :p).

Any help is appreciated. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Are you talking about the post number, e.g., post was #5164232?

You can find that post# in the URL you get from the post number in the top right corner of the post, e.g., #1 for your post in this thread, and #2 for my post.

You can also add a quote of another post without knowing the post number to a previous post. Just find the other post you want to quote, click Quote, copy the text form the text area, back up a page in your web browser, edit your previous post, and paste.

If that's not what you're looking for, then perhaps I've misunderstood.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Are you talking about the post number, e.g., post was #5164232?

Yes, I did mean the entire post number, the kind used to tag a post for linking:

[quote="Doctor Q, post: 5164906"]

You can find that post# in the URL you get from the post number in the top right corner of the post, e.g., #1 for your post in this thread, and #2 for my post.

You can also add a quote of another post without knowing the post number to a previous post. Just find the other post you want to quote, click Quote, copy the text form the text area, back up a page in your web browser, edit your previous post, and paste.

If that's not what you're looking for, then perhaps I've misunderstood.

I should clarify, because my OP really doesn't describe the circumstances I'm referring to very well. :eek:

For example, when I've multi-quoted a few posts and am writing a long response, I might realize that I've forgotten to include a quote I had intended to. This would otherwise force me to do as you described by copying+pasting the quote. However, since tagging isn't very difficult, I was wondering if having the post's full number appear in the "Thread Review" would be possible, as it would allow me to rapidly insert a quote without having to copy+paste.

I realize that vBulletin likely doesn't allow for it, but I was wondering if there any other "tricks" to get around it.

Did that make more sense? I honestly feel like this is one of those things that is very difficult to describe via writing; it's something I'd be able to demonstrate in real time very well. :p :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I now understand what you mean. You're taking about adding another quoted post while you are composing your reply. Sorry I missed that point.

When you want to add another quote to a post in progress, you can control-click on the thread title at the top of the page and pick Open Link in New Tab. That puts you at the right point in the thread, where you can grab post numbers and/or click Quote and copy the text before closing that tab.

Another choice is to type the
somebody said:
tag yourself, copy/paste their post from the Topic Review area, and add a closing /quote tag, without worrying about the post number. Post numbers add a slight convenience that lets people click on the
viewpost.gif
icon to go to the quoted post, but it is completely optional. Leave it out; nobody will mind.

Technically, adding the post numbers in the Topic Review (below the post composition area) would be possible in theory. When we can, we like to improve the forum experience. The downside is that anytime we "hack" the forum software it can be a risk to stability (luckily, we're perfcet!) and we have to reapply the same hack with every update we make to the forum software.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
When you want to add another quote to a post in progress, you can control-click on the thread title at the top of the page and pick Open Link in New Tab. That puts you at the right point in the thread, where you can grab post numbers and/or click Quote and copy the text before closing that tab.

Yeah, that's what I normally do but I was grasping at straws for a moderately faster way to do it. :p

Leave it out; nobody will mind.

:p I happen to like the linked posts; it makes it easier to follow the conversation and I write quotes in that way to be courteous to fellow members.
Technically, adding the post numbers in the Topic Review (below the post composition area) would be possible in theory. When we can, we like to improve the forum experience. The downside is that anytime we "hack" the forum software it can be a risk to stability (luckily, we're perfcet!) and we have to reapply the same hack with every update we make to the forum software.

That's a very nice way of saying, "no." :p

Thanks for the help though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.