PDA

View Full Version : An iPod battery Question?

manitoubalck
Nov 2, 2003, 04:15 PM
The iPod has a "Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery" (www.apple.com.au/ipod/specs.html) it has a playback time of ~8 hours etc...

What I'm curious about is the fact that Li-ion batteries have at absolute best a 4 year life span. Now the battery is built in so what is going to happen when people's iPod batteries need replacing because they no longer hold any charge.

Anna
Nov 2, 2003, 06:08 PM
Apple have actually done extensive tests on this issue (refer to KnowledgeBase for documentaton) and it has been found this is actually half life. well it could also be so that people go out and but another iPod, but why would you care ManitouBlack, you dont have an iPod anyway...

manitoubalck
Nov 2, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Anna
but why would you care ManitouBlack, you dont have an iPod anyway...

How true that is, but the question still remains, is the iPod battery replaceable? and if so @ what cost.?

Anna
Nov 2, 2003, 07:08 PM
yes it is...but they have to send it back to apple...no resellers are able to replace it coz apple are funny about people opening it... I personally would not bother and apparently the replacement cost is something ridiculous...hmmm...when mine dies i think that i will use it as a storage device and just get another one

manitoubalck
Nov 2, 2003, 07:41 PM
That's an expencive way arround.

Anna
Nov 2, 2003, 08:16 PM
learn to spell

toughboy
Nov 3, 2003, 12:05 PM
yes, the battery is replacable...

I once saw a website about a pal who left his iPod in a bag which an open coke can has spilled, and he step-by-step dis-built (I cant remember the term) the iPod and as much as I can remember, the battery inside the iPod was a Sony 1100mAh rechargeable battery.. I dont know if we can find a replacement battery for it. Maybe they sell it in the US, I dont know..

If one day the battery dies and goes up to 2-3 hours or even less, then I would buy a Belkin AA battery supply.. or you can buy a new iPod.. which hopefully will have bluetooth connection and wireless earbuds and a FM/AM Radio reciever.. :)

unc32
Nov 3, 2003, 07:05 PM
Yes, it is replacemable. Check out the thread I started before reading this.