Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
I'm kind of in a quandry as to amking a mobile purchase. I like having alot of screen real-estate (like haing my windows visible, at least in part, so i'm leaning toward a 17" PB. But its SO big, that i was thinking maybe a should split for a 12" PB for mobility and get a refurb 20" cinema display for use w/ the PB @ home. Currently I have a humble eMac 700.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
If you want real power, you have got to get either the 15 or 17 inch... The graphics are so much better, along with other specs of the laptops. I find the 15" big enough for almost anything i do (and i also have a 22" Trinitron that i find myself almost never using).

Elenita

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
I'll Chime in for the 15"

I know you didn't mention the 15" in your original post, but I honestly think it's the best balance between desktop replacement and road-warrior tool. IMHO, the 17" is too heavy to have with you on the road, and the 12" is too cramped when at a desk.

As for your concern about screen real estate, I think the 15" does just fine--but then, I don't know how you'll be using it. I will say that the 15" screen on a Powerbook is different than 15" on a desktop; the Powerbook is designed as a widescreen computer and it's possible to have multiple windows open side by side. I do it quite frequently.

Hope this helps!

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
update

Thanks for the replies thus far - I will check out the 15" - I was thinking i could "get by" with 1024x768 while i was on the road or at coffee house but I think I'd just come to regret it in the the long run. I set the resolution on the eMac to that and tried it out for awhile. To much flipping about! Maybe expose would help (I'm running 10.2.8 right now).
With the 15" being on the table, I have a feind who works for a university computer store that has a really good price on discontinued 1GHZ Ti's. Would I notice a marked difference between the 1.0 & the 1.25? and is there otehr key differences i should worry about?
thanks

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
From reviews I've read of the new 15", the speed increase isn't 25% over the 1 Ghz. I'm biased (as a proud owner of a 1 Ghz TiBook) but I absolutely love my machine and have had no problems with it. If its only a slight price difference, go for the aluminum casing, but if you can get a TiBook cheap, get it.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I have the 17, and I had the 15 before that (and the Pismo before that...). I certainly don't find the 17 too big or heavy to carry around, it gets slung in my bag every day and moves with me from lecture to lecture in the Uni. Recently I spent an hour editing and burning a DVD for my brother in laws first hang gliding lesson, right there on the mountain (well, in the van actually), by the time we'd got back to the house, he could show the family what we'd been doing.:D

I have to say, I only did that cos I thought I ought to be able to, but it worked a treat.

I would agree that the 17 is probably too big/heavy if you're small, but at 6'ish and 13.5 stone I find it a breeze, I don't use a second monitor or mouse, and I find it the most complete laptop I've ever owned.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i got a rev. A 12" PB... i had a chance to play with my friend's Al 15" PB this weekend...

i realize your needs are different than mine, but i don't think i can ever go back to anything larger than my PB 12". (well, i need the full sized keyboard, so i don't think i can go any smaller either.) the portability is just great. it really makes the 12" mobile computer. i do like screens better than 1024 x 768, but it's not worth the mobility as far as i'm concerned... and 15" screen is not *that* much bigger than the 12". if you get the 17", i think you get much more significant diff. in the screen size...

so i like the idea of using the external monitor with the 12". you get the best of both worlds..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.