Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Hi all,
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm fairly new to programming on a mac, although have been coding on (urghh) windows for a while.

I'm loving XCode and Objective C hasn't been too much of a change.

I've written a small app to merge the contents of two folders, mainly to help solve a problem i had once.
Its more just a GUI wrapper to good ol' 'cp' but I never remember the switches to use, so i'm sure a lot of other people won't want to touch the terminal either! (I'm not against the terminal - Just recognise many users won't want to use it...)

Anyways, its all working as expected but now i want to share this with anyone else who would find it useful, trouble is I've never released anything before as most things i write just as demos to learn how to do something.

Where is a good place to upload the file, I though about sourceforge but not sure if will reach the right audience (If they dont want to use the terminal would they really be able to compile code?!?)

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
Google Code is a good place for it. You can upload the binary there. For getting the word out, add a link in your signature to the Google Code site. This site is a great targeted audience for your program. You'd be surprised how many clicks you'll see from a forum signature with as much traffic as MacRumors.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
If you post your app on VersionTracker, it _should_ get a lot of views. Within a week or so you will then find your app referenced from quite a few places (such as Softpedia). You will need a place to host in the first place though, which can be SourceForge (if open source), Google Code, etc.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Try VersionTracker. Seems to be a good site, although you may have to have your own website as well. Not sure on that.

Personally I submit D&D Manager to Apple, MacGameFiles (wouldn't be relevant for you), MacUpdate, Softpedia, Upload.com (Download.com et al) and Versiontracker. Personally I get about 70% of my hits from Apple.

If your application is OpenSource then you'll need hosting, Google Code is OK, but has the disadvantage of a hard limit of 100MB space, which you will use up quicker than you think, they also don't give you more space. Sourceforge is unlimited which is much better.

EDIT: Stick copyright notices in your source code, (ala D&D Manager, see my software in my sig) and change the target to 10.3.9 or at least 10.4. In Xcode go to Targets>Folder Merge and then press Command-I and then go to Build and select the oldest available OS. I can get it to build just fine against the 10.3.9 SDK :).

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Thank you for comments so far...

Have rebuilt for 10.4 this time.

As for future projects wrapping terminal commands seems pretty straight forwards, are there any major gaps in this area though? I tend to try and do most stuff through the GUI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.