Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I've exported a Postcript file from Quark 6, and it's 6MB. However, when I open it in Preview, and Save As PDF, it's only 60KB!

Can anyone help? Is there a better way to convert this file into a PDF?

ac6789

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Why would you create a PDF from preview?

I haven't used quark in a while, but can't you export to PDF from there?

or if you have acrobat (full program) you can either use distiller: just drag the postscript file into the conversion window. Remember to adjust your settings first.

or it should have installed a PDF printer into the list of printers available to your computer just look into File--> Print and choose Adobe PDF 8 (if you have the latest version)

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Why would you create a PDF from preview?

I haven't used quark in a while, but can't you export to PDF from there?

or if you have acrobat (full program) you can either use distiller: just drag the postscript file into the conversion window. Remember to adjust your settings first.

or it should have installed a PDF printer into the list of printers available to your computer just look into File--> Print and choose Adobe PDF 8 (if you have the latest version)

Thanks for the reply. Export to PDF in Quark produces unpredictable results, and ive been advised against it by the printers I use. Also, File->Print->PDF in Quark doesn't allow me to change the advanced output settings.

I guess I need to get Acrobat 8 then, with Distiller and the printer addition.

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
Postscript to PDF

The only way you should make a PDF from quark is printing to a postscript file, and then put this file through Distiller. Any other method, including printing to a PDF printer, will give you mixed results. I have had very bad colour management problems with the PDF 8 driver, PDF 6 works the best. I use Quark 6 on a daily basis, and prepare ads for publications, and by printing to postscript, and putting it through Distiller, I NEVER have a problem. It is always as designed.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
The only way you should make a PDF from quark is printing to a postscript file, and then put this file through Distiller. Any other method, including printing to a PDF printer, will give you mixed results. I have had very bad colour management problems with the PDF 8 driver, PDF 6 works the best. I use Quark 6 on a daily basis, and prepare ads for publications, and by printing to postscript, and putting it through Distiller, I NEVER have a problem. It is always as designed.

No worries, this is what I've been hearing. Basically avoiding making a PDF directly from Quark, at all costs!

So, Distiller comes as part of Acrobat 8?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I emailed my postscript file to a colleague who has Adobe Distiller (as part of Acrobat Pro.), and he's converted it using the Press Quality setting, and the output PDF is still only very small - 128k. It's at 2400dpi, but is only just an envelope address (black only). Is such a small file normal?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I sometimes use a custom distillation where I set all images to uncompressed (instead of JPEG). Works pretty well for the most part, though if the images are large resolutions, I wouldn't give it to a printer this way. I did this, for instance, when we had Postits made with the corporate branding on it and a tiff seal had to be included so I distilled it uncompressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.