Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
I just posted about my iTunes crashing on my powerbook g4(1.25ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.5.2), but now it's everything. I would be using Safari for 15 minutes, it will crash. I will be using Word 08 and it'll crash. Last time the fan jumped in after 14 minutes of me watching a video in full screen and then a little later it crashed. Force quit won't work, only manual shutdown. Ive only used it for about a week since i got it from a friend who says this never happened. Never happened in the weeks of me using it either. Can anyone please help me?

Silent!Avenger

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
I had similar problems with leopard. Finally after one forced shut down some file was lost and I had to reinstall the OS. I just stuck with Tiger for the time being. As for Word 08, they just released a fix for it.

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
It was fine before, this just started today. I don't think it's just word since i was streaming a movie online and it froze as well. I had it on for like 3 hours once, nothing happened.

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
i just got into the mac community (windows before). What you just said flew over my head except for the reinstall lol.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
i just got into the mac community (windows before). What you just said flew over my head except for the reinstall lol.

well there is probably your problem.
going to the guineas bar is a great learning experience

anyway
open apps folder
open utilities
click on disk Utility
select the hdd either the top one or the one directly in a bit and below it
then click under the white box repair permissions

if you do not see a big white box click first aid and it will be there.

and the hard ware test
put your original leopard or such cd (the first if you have two)
click restart
then hold d when booting up
then under the box that says test there is a box that you should check as its more extensive.
then wait an hour or two

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
i just realized that it on my harddrive window, it shows 2 devices under "shared". those were from computers connected last night, but i'm in a different location now. But it's still there. Could that be the promblem? if so, how do i remove them.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
i just realized that it on my harddrive window, it shows 2 devices under "shared". those were from computers connected last night, but i'm in a different location now. But it's still there. Could that be the promblem? if so, how do i remove them.

?????????????????????
no clue
genius bar:cool:

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
the closest mac store near here is one that's part of bestbuy. Its just a small section where they sell mac products, not sure if they would have a genius bar.

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
and what i meant before is that i was at a friend's house last night, was on their network. Then we played some Lan games for 2 hours, and i came home. Now, im back on my own network, but it still shows 2 shared computers on my list between Devices and Places (under shared). Now i can't connect to these devices for the obvious reason that they aren't on my network. Are they supposed to still be up on here? If not, how would i fix it?

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
the closest mac store near here is one that's part of bestbuy. Its just a small section where they sell mac products, not sure if they would have a genius bar.

ya the best buy help there is a joke.
do not even try you will waste your time.
as i was at best buy the other day and some guy brought in his whole imac keyboard mouse every single cord and the guy was like go to genius bar. i told him not to bring all the extra stuff as he looked retarded and thats annoying bringing all that.

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
i tried running the harddrive thing, it crashed before i could do anything.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
i tried running the harddrive thing, it crashed before i could do anything.

sol:rolleyes:

best fix of all, and will help in every aspect of your life by deleting frustration.

1. take your computer or laptop and unplug it

2. go to home depot, buy either a cinder block or a brick (1 will do but more helps)

3. put item described in #2 in your hand and go around 8 ft away from your computer

4. throw it at the computer

man do i want to make a video of this.

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
the disk permission repair isnt going anywhere...its stuck at one point and it just says "Estimated time left: less than 1 minute" and my iStats show cpu usage of 96% ish

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
the disk permission repair isnt going anywhere...its stuck at one point and it just says "Estimated time left: less than 1 minute" and my iStats show cpu usage of 96% ish

does it say not responding?
everything that does something will either say 123232 hours left or 1 min. take a guess in between and go do something else

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
well it hasnt froze in 20 min.. dont want to jinx myself.

but i uninstalled azures and gimp, since azueres crashed on me last night and i just installed gimp last night. dont know which one could of caused the promblem.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
well it hasnt froze in 20 min.. dont want to jinx myself.

but i uninstalled azures and gimp, since azueres crashed on me last night and i just installed gimp last night. dont know which one could of caused the promblem.

so it hasn't froze before then?

Nitrogen7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
no Azurues crashed on me last night and i couldnt quit it, but everything else ran fine. So i just ignored it since i only needed to use the powerbook for 10 minutes. And when i booted it up this morning it started happening.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
no Azurues crashed on me last night and i couldnt quit it, but everything else ran fine. So i just ignored it since i only needed to use the powerbook for 10 minutes. And when i booted it up this morning it started happening.

?????????
maybe azurues?
is it only for intel or powerpc
as that will make it crash

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
I assume that you've shut down and reboot, not just put the machine to sleep, correct?
When azureus hangs sometimes the background process keeps running and can cause problems. But once you completely shut down it should be gone and fine.

If I were in your position, I'd re-boot into single user mode, run fsck and memtest to check the filesystem and memory, then move on from there.

Let me see if I can dig up links to those two procedures. You may want to search the forum for old posts that mention similar problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.