Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
For the light trail pictures you'll definitely want to put the camera on a tripod. Also turns and hills make for more interesting light trail pictures. The sunrise picture could do with more contrast to make it look less hazy, although I do like the composition. For the surfer pic, less photoshop is good and you'll need a longer lens focal length to make those shots really good. I think you'll want to get a higher quality lens like the Tamron 28-75 (Don't know if it can autofocus on the D40 though), and other than that a few edits in photoshop can get you a couple good pictures from that bunch.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
For the light trail pictures you'll definitely want to put the camera on a tripod. Also turns and hills make for more interesting light trail pictures. The sunrise picture could do with more contrast to make it look less hazy, although I do like the composition. For the surfer pic, less photoshop is good and you'll need a longer lens focal length to make those shots really good. I think you'll want to get a higher quality lens like the Tamron 28-75 (Don't know if it can autofocus on the D40 though), and other than that a few edits in photoshop can get you a couple good pictures from that bunch.
I don't believe the Tamron (which is a great lens, have it myself) will AF on a D40, but I will reiterate g4's comments in that a tripod might be a great investment if you want to try long exposure photography. Its not user error, its just not humanly possible to hand hold a light trail shot.

kwalsh16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey

I actually just got a new lens... i believe it is the nikkor 55-300 (i don't have the lens at my house right now) Not sure if that is the lens, my camera is in school

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't believe the Tamron (which is a great lens, have it myself) will AF on a D40, but I will reiterate g4's comments in that a tripod might be a great investment if you want to try long exposure photography. Its not user error, its just not humanly possible to hand hold a light trail shot.

If these are the kind of images he likes then all of them could be improved with even the cheapest tripod. As for the "quality" of the lens, a tripod will do more to increase sharpness of these kinds for photos than would spending $1,500 on a professional quality lens.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If these are the kind of images he likes then all of them could be improved with even the cheapest tripod. As for the "quality" of the lens, a tripod will do more to increase sharpness of these kinds for photos than would spending $1,500 on a professional quality lens.

I was not talking about getting a professional quality lens for the long exposures, that was for pictures in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.