Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think it depends on the size of the image. If you're working with large images that will be full-screen or close to it on the minimum resolution you're targeting, then a thumbnail preview is extremely useful - saves users the trouble of loading the entire image only to realize that isn't the one they wanted to look at. On the other hand, if your images are small, a preview thumbnail is utterly pointless.

eetu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
the idea is to show not only images, but the whole linked website. for example, next to a movie title, a link to a preview of that movie in the imdb site.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Oh, I get it now. I think it's an interesting idea, but it doesn't work very well in practice, since you either have to manually update your preview every time the link changes, or write some sort of script that updates it for you. For that reason, I am against it.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I personally don't care for them, but don't come cross them very often, especially since I started using the Firefox plug-in No-Script, which keeps JavaScript disabled at a site until I say so. I find little previews that show up when I'm about to click a link to just to be a distraction. They're nice enough for eye-candy, but don't provide much in functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.