Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nubben

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I'm really confused on how to best store/safeguard my lossless music collection.

I use Apple Lossless and iTunes to manage my lossless library, but have yet to come up with an affordable solution to store the files. (BTW, the lossless files are converted to AAC's which I use for the iPod.)

I have looked in to hard drives - I need a 2TB drive set up as RAID 1 (mirrored), but these are here in the UK expensive (£500 and upwards).

Second alternative is to burn the files to DVD-R's and make two copies per archived disc (one for off-site).

However, let's say I want to amend some details on a song/album (added lyrics or amended a composer or better hi-rez album art). I would then have to change this information in 3 places: first the AAC, then the ALAC's on each of the discs! Furthermore, I would have to re-burn each disc from scratch having changed the tag info. It would've been great if I could load a DVD-RW (note the RW) in iTunes (showing up as a disc) and simply hit Get Info; amend the details and save it and the file on the disc would automatically be "re-burnt".

On the other hand, if I used a HDD I would simply chnage it there and use iTunes back-up feature and back up files add or changed since the last back up. Much simpler. But, more expensive.

Does anyone have a good solution to store lossless files?

I don't want to start burning a lot of DVD's and then jump to a different back-up solution. :(

Nubben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.