PDA

View Full Version : need tipps


crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 06:25 AM
hi there.
i'm just about to switch to mac, and i've got this plan:
buy a 15" pb combo w/ 512 mb ram and an extern firewire hd width about 200 gb. at home i want to boot from the extern hd, and from the built in 60bg in other cases.
is this possible, which possibilites do i have for sync & are there any reasons not to do this??
one more question: can i add a bluetooth card later & how much does it cost??
thanks for all answers,
crashcoder

robotrenegade
Nov 3, 2003, 07:03 AM
Here is the best thing to do, I think!

1) When you get the new powerbook. Boot up holding T. That turns your powerbook into a harddrive.

2) No you can't add blue tooth later. You must do it when you buy it.

thehuncamunca
Nov 3, 2003, 08:36 AM
bluetooth is already included on all powerbooks

crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
Here is the best thing to do, I think!

1) When you get the new powerbook. Boot up holding T. That turns your powerbook into a harddrive.

Sorry, i didn't understand this.. What does it mean that my powerbook turns into a harddrive??

whocares
Nov 3, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by crashcoder
Sorry, i didn't understand this.. What does it mean that my powerbook turns into a harddrive?? `

Press T when firing up the PBook and plug it in (the PBook) to a desktop Mac via the FireWire ports. The PBook now acts as an external FireWire HD.

crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 12:28 PM
that sounds very nice..

jxyama
Nov 3, 2003, 12:37 PM
get carbon clone copier at http://www.versiontracker.com.

it can make a bootable copy of your laptop HD onto your FW HD. i tried it last night to back up Jaguar before upgrading to Panther. works very well. this way, all you need is your FWHD to boot. no need to use the target disk mode like the other poster suggested - which requires another mac...

haven't tried synching it but it was documented in CCC website using a third party plugin.

crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 12:51 PM
thanks, that's exactly what i need.. the new version of ccc seems to have even a sync feature.
just one less important question: how can i tell the pb to boot from the built-in or from the extern hd (both times with extern one plugged in)??

evoluzione
Nov 3, 2003, 01:21 PM
when you boot up the mac just hold down the option key and a screen comes up with all the available choices to boot with.

crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 01:23 PM
fine. as i expected, you can use the mac just for what you want..
thanks for the answers
crashcoder

neut
Nov 3, 2003, 01:28 PM
just wondering what the advantages are to having separate boot drives?

why not just use the FWHD for large storage and back-up?

just curious?

i'm no oyster. just a fisherman with a spear.

whocares
Nov 3, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by neut
just wondering what the advantages are to having separate boot drives?

One reason could be speed. Having your system on an external 7200 rpm drive makes for a faster systems than if run from the internal 4200 rpm.
That's just one of possoble many reasons I guess...

crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 01:34 PM
yeah you're right, speed is the reason, beside space, of course.

neut
Nov 3, 2003, 01:34 PM
how much would you gain from having the OS reside on the faster drive?

wouldn't most of the speed gain be from the working file? and couldn't that be kept on the FW drive while using the internal for the OS...

I could see a gain in startup time but, that isn't important if your laptop is just sleeping anyways.

anyone got more info?

jxyama
Nov 3, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by crashcoder
thanks, that's exactly what i need.. the new version of ccc seems to have even a sync feature.
just one less important question: how can i tell the pb to boot from the built-in or from the extern hd (both times with extern one plugged in)??

another way is to have the FWHD connected, go to
System Pref -> Startup Drive and choose the OS Volume on the FWHD, then re-start.

one advantage of an ext. bootable OS is that you can take your OS to anywhere... if you go to your friend's house, you can simply boot from your HD instead of "using" his Mac.

neut
Nov 3, 2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
one advantage of an ext. bootable OS is that you can take your OS to anywhere... if you go to your friend's house, you can simply boot from your HD instead of "using" his Mac.

could this be accoplished with target mode also? or does this render the laptop bootless?

i'm starting to see some advantages of this, but not sure if i could take advantage of the benefits...

crashcoder
Nov 3, 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by neut
how much would you gain from having the OS reside on the faster drive?

wouldn't most of the speed gain be from the working file? and couldn't that be kept on the FW drive while using the internal for the OS...

I could see a gain in startup time but, that isn't important if your laptop is just sleeping anyways.

anyone got more info?

I'm not sure of this, but i think the program- and the config-files are more important..
i'm not sure if i will install a second os on the fwhd.. i only know that the 60 or 80 gigs won't be enough for me. so i'll buy an additional fwhd. since i don't have any mac-using-friends here, i can't take advantage out of that..
i think i should try out if using only the os on the built-in disk is fast enough, and if not clone it to the fwhd

neut
Nov 3, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by crashcoder
I'm not sure of this, but i think the program- and the config-files are more important..

hmmm, i would think this would help the program startup time, but once it is loaded into RAM it should effect it much.

i do know that if you are working on large files those large files should reside in the faster drive. though having the program there too may help some...not really sure.

i would be interested in your results if you test this. ;)

crashcoder
Nov 4, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by neut
i would be interested in your results if you test this. ;)
Okay, I'll tell you, but not earlier than Christmas, 'cause I first need some money :)

MacBoyX
Nov 4, 2003, 08:01 AM
For What it's worth...

I have an iBook and a G5. I have enuff trouble syncing the two so that I always have my data, I'd never bother to boot off of an external fw hd just go gain some speed. What you make up for in RPMs you're going to lose by not using the internal hd bus. FW is good...but not that good.

Trust me on this one...use the internal for the system and the external for storage.

Just my 0.02 cents.

macboyX