PDA

View Full Version : Open Directory error

twoodcc
Mar 17, 2008, 12:23 PM
i have a server setup and i have 2 mobile client machines. they are bound to the server, but when i try to log-in, i get a message saying "You cannot log-in to this account. An error occurred."

any ideas on what to do to fix this?

rezenclowd3
Mar 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
As you know what time you tried to log in, check the logs on the server. Sorry, I have not ran across this problem.

twoodcc
Mar 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
well i'm not sure what i've done, but now when i try to log in it doesn't do anything. it just does the shake like i entered the wrong password.

but i can log in with my directory admin account

Les Kern
Mar 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have seen this.
Start over. Delete the user and the share directory... save docs if needed. Drop their account off the mobile unit. Re-enter user (same short name) and drop their stuff back in. I never had it happen often enough to discover just WHY, and this fix takes a few minutes anyway.

twoodcc
Mar 17, 2008, 09:47 PM
I have seen this.
Start over. Delete the user and the share directory... save docs if needed. Drop their account off the mobile unit. Re-enter user (same short name) and drop their stuff back in. I never had it happen often enough to discover just WHY, and this fix takes a few minutes anyway.

thanks. so just delete the user and unshare the sharepoint?

i tried just creating a new user, but i had the same problem.

also, the directoryService in activity monitor on the client machine bogs down the client sometimes.

twoodcc
Mar 18, 2008, 08:26 PM
i think i'm ready to give up on it again. i mean, i have the server setup and all, but when i bind client machines, either i'm not doing it right, or for some reason it's not working right.

i mean, i can't get the mobile home to sync correctly after logging in with a user account on the client machine.

if i'm on a regular account on the client machine (local to the client), then the directory service uses half the computer's resources.

and if i have it set in dns on my network stuff to look to my server, and then i leave my network, it slows down the internet.

sorry for the rant, but i've tried and tried with OS X server, and every time i seem to fail, even when it appears i have it setup right

Les Kern
Mar 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
i think i'm ready to give up on it again. i mean, i have the server setup and all, but when i bind client machines, either i'm not doing it right, or for some reason it's not working right.

i mean, i can't get the mobile home to sync correctly after logging in with a user account on the client machine.

if i'm on a regular account on the client machine (local to the client), then the directory service uses half the computer's resources.

and if i have it set in dns on my network stuff to look to my server, and then i leave my network, it slows down the internet.

sorry for the rant, but i've tried and tried with OS X server, and every time i seem to fail, even when it appears i have it setup right

Hmmm... in order to use open directory, you need a valid DNS server running... it's critical. Also, "shutting the internet down" could be related to a DNS storm, which I have suffered from... it COULD be related but who knows without actually being on site to witness this. I apologize but it's obviously something I am missing. My master has 2600 accounts on it, up to 300 using it at a time... so something is up with the basic configuration as it's a pretty robust system even on lesser servers. Looking like I can't help all that much here, this is a more complicated problem for a forum. Perhaps there are some local resources you can tap? If you are a business it might be good here to contact them esp. if this is mission critical?
Best of luck.

miniConvert
Mar 19, 2008, 05:08 AM
I don't use a DNS server and OD works fine for me. Took me a few tries of various errors and window shakes on client logins (I ended up reinstalling OS X Server I messed it up so badly the first time). Have you changed the IP address of your OS X Server ever? It hates that.

But yeah, no DNS for me. The .local hostname of the server resolves fine on all client machines on the network. As it aint broke, I don't intend to fix it ;)

No doubt OD on OS X Server can be fragile. I literally just put the IP of the server into the LDAP bit of Directory Access and let each client auto-configure itself, then it was fine.

(Tiger, btw, we don't use Leopard)

twoodcc
Mar 19, 2008, 10:01 AM
thanks for the replies.

i do have DNS running correctly (at least i think). and like i said, the clients bind to the server just like they should. but when i try to log-in, it doesn't.

or i do log-in, it won't home sync.

and when i'm away from the network, the internet is slow (the client continues to look for my server)

Yoursh
Mar 21, 2008, 12:26 AM
I had the same issue when I was getting 10.5 up and running on my Xserve. I had the same error as you and had painfully long startup and login times for my client machines. I was able to trace it down to a DNS issue on my server. I also thought the DNS service was running properly, but I was wrong. After much searching(I only started working with osx server under 10.4 last year), I found a quick and easy way to check if your DNS is working. In the terminal application on your server type in...

changeip -checkhostname

If the DNS is working properly, it should read back the server ip address and your hostname(server.name.com) and say that the DNS is working. If it shows anything else, the DNS is not setup right. As I said I thought my DNS was working correctly, but recieved all sorts of errors when I ran the terminal command above. I discovered that when I had installed the os for the 6th time, maybe 7th I lost track after a while, the setup pulled some DNS hostname info from my isp and had saved that in the system somewhere. With my limited knowledge I was unable to remove that info from the system. So I ended up reinstalling the os again.

One other tip I learned from my research into this. When you install the os onto the server, don't have it hooked up to the internet. If it's going to be a primary OD server, network it like this...

server->switch/hub/router->client machine to test with

You can change how it's hookedup later but this keeps the server from pulling info from elsewhere during the initial setup. If this is going to be a secondary server then you would have it hooked up to the primary server to pull info from.

Hope this helps a bit and I wish you luck.

twoodcc
Mar 21, 2008, 12:39 AM
I had the same issue when I was getting 10.5 up and running on my Xserve. I had the same error as you and had painfully long startup and login times for my client machines. I was able to trace it down to a DNS issue on my server. I also thought the DNS service was running properly, but I was wrong. After much searching(I only started working with osx server under 10.4 last year), I found a quick and easy way to check if your DNS is working. In the terminal application on your server type in...

changeip -checkhostname

If the DNS is working properly, it should read back the server ip address and your hostname(server.name.com) and say that the DNS is working. If it shows anything else, the DNS is not setup right. As I said I thought my DNS was working correctly, but recieved all sorts of errors when I ran the terminal command above. I discovered that when I had installed the os for the 6th time, maybe 7th I lost track after a while, the setup pulled some DNS hostname info from my isp and had saved that in the system somewhere. With my limited knowledge I was unable to remove that info from the system. So I ended up reinstalling the os again.

One other tip I learned from my research into this. When you install the os onto the server, don't have it hooked up to the internet. If it's going to be a primary OD server, network it like this...

server->switch/hub/router->client machine to test with

You can change how it's hookedup later but this keeps the server from pulling info from elsewhere during the initial setup. If this is going to be a secondary server then you would have it hooked up to the primary server to pull info from.

Hope this helps a bit and I wish you luck.

thanks. i have also reinstalled several times. but i i have ran that command and i have my DNS working properly (or at least according to that command i do).

but i'm still having problems with logging in with the client machine.