Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterjeter26

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
i have a sony video camera and it does not connect to my camera. it has those mini-dvd things would those fit in a superdrive? or should i download the driver. speaking of that its a windows only cd does anybody know of a mac driver for sony cameras so i can get my videos on it.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If it has DV out (i-Link/Firewire) there should be no drivers, just raw digital video. Otherwise you'll have to use the video on the disc, but you can't use that disc in any slot loading drive, instead you will need a tray drive (you can get an external one for about $50).

TEG

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
It depends on your camera and computer.

IF you are using a Sony HD camera that uses the AVCHD format, like the HDR-UX5 or UX7, you must have an intel Mac and the newest iMovie for it to work with your computer. The mini-DVD will NOT work in a slot load mac, but you can leave the disk in the camera and the computer can load your footage through the USB 2.0 connection. You may have to "finalize" the disk before iMovie will see it.

Generally, a camera that uses the AVCHD format will only work with an intel Mac. The AVCHD format is also supported in Final Cut Express 4.0, as well as the new iMovie.

brian

s2andrus

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Moncton, NB, Canada
HDR-UX5 - help!

It depends on your camera and computer.

IF you are using a Sony HD camera that uses the AVCHD format, like the HDR-UX5 or UX7, you must have an intel Mac and the newest iMovie for it to work with your computer. The mini-DVD will NOT work in a slot load mac, but you can leave the disk in the camera and the computer can load your footage through the USB 2.0 connection. You may have to "finalize" the disk before iMovie will see it.

Generally, a camera that uses the AVCHD format will only work with an intel Mac. The AVCHD format is also supported in Final Cut Express 4.0, as well as the new iMovie.

brian

I'm using a 2.4 ghz iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo processor and the Sony HDR-UX5 camcorder. I have both iMovie '08 (7.1.4) and Final Cut 4 - but.....

When I plug in the USB to the camcorder - it does nothing for several minutes and then a blank disc window appears - any thoughts??

singlewhip

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
I got files from a Sony DCR-SR46 into iMovie using usb using Image Capture. Old pedestal mac with OS X.3.5.9.
The blank disc image "no name" has your video files. Attack with Image Capture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.