Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I don't want to get into Windows bashing and peeve a bunch of people off, but I have run into more problems with Windows Vista in the first 2 hours than I've ever experienced in my decade and a half using Macs. I didn't want to install Windows in the first place, but I needed to do so in order to run some of the software that only exists for PC's. Vista already downloaded a pile of "updates" against my will as the cancel button did not stop them; then Vista installed said "updates" against my will, forbidding me to shut down while it did so. That aside, every time I switch back to OS X my time and date is wrong. Also, every time I boot up Windows, I get alerts that my monitor's refresh rate is too low. Here's my main question, though: why does my hard disk constantly make that searching/creaking noise when I'm in Vista, even when I'm not doing anything? The computer sounds like it is constantly downloading (or uploading) something. What's going on?:confused:

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Its very easy to turn off automatic updating... As for the HDD thing, you just installed it so its probably indexing the HDD for the first time.

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Its very easy to turn off automatic updating... As for the HDD thing, you just installed it so its probably indexing the HDD for the first time.

Thanks for the reply. I've turned off automatic updating already... I was just annoyed that it wouldn't stop downloading when I clicked cancel. Also, I thought that the HD might be indexing, but it just seems to have gone on making that noise for too long. I suppose I'll know in the next few hours. Meanwhile, I'll just try to iron out the kinks... at least its working and its stable.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I've turned off automatic updating already... I was just annoyed that it wouldn't stop downloading when I clicked cancel. Also, I thought that the HD might be indexing, but it just seems to have gone on making that noise for too long. I suppose I'll know in the next few hours. Meanwhile, I'll just try to iron out the kinks... at least its working and its stable.

As the other guy said, the HDD is indexing. Let it do its thing. Once when it's done and out of the way, you will likely never have to index the HDD again.

As for the updates, I believe only the critical security updates are downloaded ,which if you had disabled automatic updates while the updates were downloading, they would not have installed. Also, while updates are being installed you can still shut down the computer. Don't confuse problems with Windows with user ignorance.

Also, not downloading security updates would be a bad move, period.

As for your refresh rate, it sounds like a driver issue. Did you install the Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard DVD?

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
"Don't confuse problems with Windows with user ignorance."

Yes, the Boot Camp drivers were installed. Yes, Windows dinks up my clock every time. No, I generally don't force my computer to shut down when a wizard window expressly forbids such action and, Yes, I expect the cancel button to WHOA! actually CANCEL the current operation. I suppose cancel means something else entirely in Windows... and if its perfectly acceptable to turn my computer off during installation, wouldn't it be considered user friendly for the dialogue box to tell me that instead of the total opposite of that? I suppose I'll just have to LEARN that Windows applies its own definitions to English words, and that when Windows tells me to do something, I should be smart enough to do the opposite. I'll also resign myself to the fact that Windows takes nearly 9 hours to index a HD. All in good humor!

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
"Don't confuse problems with Windows with user ignorance."

Yes, the Boot Camp drivers were installed. Yes, Windows dinks up my clock every time. No, I generally don't force my computer to shut down when a wizard window expressly forbids such action and, Yes, I expect the cancel button to WHOA! actually CANCEL the current operation. I suppose cancel means something else entirely in Windows... and if its perfectly acceptable to turn my computer off during installation, wouldn't it be considered user friendly for the dialogue box to tell me that instead of the total opposite of that? I suppose I'll just have to LEARN that Windows applies its own definitions to English words, and that when Windows tells me to do something, I should be smart enough to do the opposite. I'll also resign myself to the fact that Windows takes nearly 9 hours to index a HD. All in good humor!

I meant to say that you can shut your computer down while the updates are being downloaded. That was an error on my part. I also don't see what the big deal is about Windows updating your computer. It's the first thing you should do on any fresh installation of Windows.

And the cancel button won't cancel while it's in the process of installing updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.