PDA

View Full Version : CNet gives Panther a less-than-favorable review.

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2003, 11:43 AM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: CNet gives Panther a less-than-favorable review. (http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3513_7-30584530.html?tag=cnetfd.ld)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

KentuckyApple
Nov 3, 2003, 12:19 PM
wankers

kwtneo
Nov 3, 2003, 12:54 PM
The cnet forums are filled with praise for Panther.....

mrsebastian
Nov 3, 2003, 01:17 PM
there isn't much in panther, short of the new finder and expose that has really changed or helped my apple usage. i got my panther for the hardware upgrade price and i doubt i would have been happy if i had paid the full retail price. though i do believe there are quite a few changes under the hood, that seem to have helped speed up the system software in general :) i guess in the end i like panther except for two things: one, the price for what doesn't "feel" like a major update. two, i hate the brushed metal look and now apple makes me endure more of it (thank goodness for all you gui hackers!).

aaron128
Nov 3, 2003, 02:25 PM
The CNet review is on crack, mostly. I mean, to not recommend the update because it's missing the Internet Preference Pane? Network problems? I haven't had any, doesn't mean other people haven't...so they suggest wait till 10.4? How about 10.3.1 or 3.2 when the bugs are ironed out. And the Liteswitch thing? God, haven't we been over this a thousand times? The mention of the Firewire 800 problem is good, as that was a serious, serious issue and I'm disappointed that Apple let it get through, it really shouldn't have happened. All and all, CNet is clearly bitter about something...maybe the review dropped his iPod or something.

Panther has two things that will really help for switchers:

1) The "user-centric" Finder really is better, especially if you're coming from Windoze. This is especially helpful in open/save dialogs. Really, a life saver.

2) Network browsing from the Finder. Switchers just didn't "get" CMD-K. Flame all you want, but if you're a business you gotta please your users.

That and the speed (especially boot-up) are key for me. Oh, and Fast-user-switching is something I've wanted since...oh, 8.6 ;) ...and the auto-synching iDisk has already saved my butt once (yes, it requires .Mac, but it will be a godsend because I'm always juggling file changes between my laptop and my desktop...not to mention a network-accessible version).

fraeone
Nov 3, 2003, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I can't help but feel this is a pretty biased review too. They included a direct link to Liteswitch's hyperbole, which is inexcusable for a (mostly) windows publication, that has had alt-tab switching for a long time. (Not to mention Switcher for Apple).

Also the complaint that there is only a 'minor' speed improvement seems ridiculous to me. I can't remember when Windows got faster with a release.

Oh, and Windows has multiple ways to access File Sharing too. One can browse with explorer, or you can mount a network drive in My Computer..

The criticism of the Metal theme is a matter of personal preference. I'm not a big fan of the metal, but I'm a big fan of the reduced pin striping, so it evens out for me.

Finally, the reviewer just sounds really bitter.

matthew24
Nov 3, 2003, 04:02 PM
CNet only has got one message:

Windows-users must enjoy their Microsoft crap, because its their livelihood.

MrMacMan
Nov 3, 2003, 11:22 PM
Wow.

That was pretty horrible review.

Networking was... uh... bad.

And they removed the Internet panel.

Ahhhhh the world is collapsing!

:rolleyes:

screw you C|Losers.

pyrotoaster
Nov 3, 2003, 11:29 PM
Oh man! John Rizzo was so right! What am I going to do without the "Favorites" folder! :confused:

Oh right, I'll be a lot happier, because the Favorites folder was completely useless and the sidebar's integration in save panels is pretty nifty. ;)

Personally, I like how Mr. Rizzo gave Panther a 6, and the reader comments have given Panther a 90 percent positive rating. :D

(Shameless plug: I wrote a two-part attack on Rizzo's reasoning at MacUnderground (http://macunderground.blogspot.com))