PDA

View Full Version : iPod-Buying Advice

Tonerl
Mar 18, 2008, 06:59 AM
For my 64th birthday, which is due in a few weeks, i thought I'd treat myself to an iPod, my first. The convenience of having my music to hand wherever I go is very attractive. Having switched from a PC to an iMac successfully, I'm game for (almost) anything!

I have 379 disks of classical music and imported 5 of these into iTunes experimentally; the total size reported by iTunes is 309.2MB (the files have a .m4a extension). Assuming that these 5 are representative of my collection, it would fit into about 24GB.

I don't think I'll be viewing video but you never know and it would be good to be able to carry some photos with me.

I've narrowed my list of "possibles" down to the iPod Classic 80GB and the iPod Touch 32GB. I'm a little chary of carrying an HDD-based device because they seem inherently fragile; so, I'll probably go for the Touch rather than the Classic.

I'd be grateful for any useful advice from people who have experience of iPods as my careful reasoning may have flaws that are not obvious to me! Also, I should like to know whether screen protectors, cases, better earphones, loudspeaker thingies, etc are worthwhile. (I know it's a long list but please bear with an oldie.) TIA.

digitalnicotine
Mar 18, 2008, 07:37 AM
Happy Birthday early! I think you have done a fine job of weighing this out, and have reached the same options I would have with your needs. I own versions of both iPods you have mentioned, and and pleased with both. Here are some things to consider between them.

The Touch alone can do the following:

Check email
Surf the web
Check weather
Check stocks
Set a clock for various time zones
Watch youtube videosThe Classic has more storage space and is smaller (not much). If the things listed above appeal to you, then go with the Touch. If not, or if you're not sure you would use those things, you can't really go wrong here either way.

As far as screen protectors and cases, I have always purchased them. I'm a bit clumsy, and have dropped all of my iPods at some point, and they have all survived. ;) A docking station is convenient for syncing, but not required. If your iPod is in a case, it won't likely fit in the dock without removing it from the casing first. There are lots of options as far as cases and speaker docks. From what I've researched, they range in price from about $30 to $500, and some even higher. I've found that you pretty much get what you pay for with the speaker docks. I have one, and am glad I purchased it, as I tend to use it often. I have never used the headphones that come with iPods. I use both AKG K240's and Shure SE 310 earphones. With my AKG's, I got a portable amp here (http://www.headphone.com/)as well.

I hope this helped. Good luck on your decision. :)

feelthefire
Mar 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
The screen on the touch is probably actually more fragile than the hard drive in an ipod classic.

In terms of durability, the classic definitely comes out on top.

I sold my touch and bought a classic because the interface on the touch was difficult to use with one hand and while driving, the times when I use my iPod most.

Fonzijr1964
Mar 18, 2008, 05:04 PM
Go Classic but, if you can wait because as mac Rumors says it is nearing the end of its cycle. ( I would say they will replace it in June or Aug. But who knows)

The HDD is not as fragile as you would think. Its a 1.8in mobile HDD so its designed to be moved around. The Touch is kind Gimmicky i have an iPhone and I love it But the touch is just for those people who are too cheep to get a iPhone. If your like my father, you will have an expanding musical library including new music too. So if you want to have a iPod that lasts a long time and will give you enough storage space go Classic.

digitalnicotine
Mar 18, 2008, 07:17 PM
But the touch is just for those people who are too cheep to get a iPhone.

Or already have a phone they are satisified with. Or don't have AT&T coverage in their area. Or the iPhone hasn't been released in their area yet. :rolleyes:

NC MacGuy
Mar 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
They are both fine choices. I think the best thing for you to do is trot down to your local Apple Store and really play with each.

I like the touch but am getting older and found the touch screen not as easy to manipulate as the click wheel design. Well, I take that back - I was manipulating everything - unintentionally.... That's my personal opinion. Of course my kids love it and a lot of other people do too but I got's fat fingers and bad eyes;)

Tonerl
Mar 19, 2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you for your helpful replies.

As it happens, Apple has opened a store not too far away; so, I'll pop over there and play.

Squonk
Mar 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
The screen on the touch is probably actually more fragile than the hard drive in an ipod classic.

In terms of durability, the classic definitely comes out on top.

I sold my touch and bought a classic because the interface on the touch was difficult to use with one hand and while driving, the times when I use my iPod most.

I concur with all these points. I've had numerous hard drive based models and have never had a drive failure.

I know exactly what you mean with respect to the touch in the car as I have an iPhone. I picked up a Griffin Autopilot (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot) for the car and find this really handy with the iPhone as well as my 4G iPod Photo. It allows me to stash the iPod out of site when I'm just shuffling it around. Best $35 I've spent this year!

brn2ski00
Mar 19, 2008, 01:56 PM
I would go with the Classic, hands down.

scotty96LSC
Mar 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
I like my iPod touch. I like the way it feels in my hand. I like the fact that the screen display is so bright and pleasant to look at.
I just plug it into my car stereo and off I go. If I want to hear a different song on I just hit the forward to next without taking my eyes of the road. I love the fact it has internet capabilities, and mail apps.
I had originally thought about the 80gb Classic as well, but after playing with the iPod touch, I was sold. It just looked better, felt better, looked cutting edge technology and had more to offer me than the Classic.

Fonzijr1964
Mar 19, 2008, 03:12 PM
Or already have a phone they are satisified with. Or don't have AT&T coverage in their area. Or the iPhone hasn't been released in their area yet. :rolleyes:

ok w/e

Squonk
Mar 19, 2008, 03:55 PM
... and had more to offer me than the Classic.

except storage! :D :D :D

rockthecasbah
Mar 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
Go Classic but, if you can wait because as mac Rumors says it is nearing the end of its cycle. ( I would say they will replace it in June or Aug. But who knows)

The HDD is not as fragile as you would think. Its a 1.8in mobile HDD so its designed to be moved around. The Touch is kind Gimmicky i have an iPhone and I love it But the touch is just for those people who are too cheep to get a iPhone. If your like my father, you will have an expanding musical library including new music too. So if you want to have a iPod that lasts a long time and will give you enough storage space go Classic.

I disagree with waiting. Though the iPod has been out since September, given the recent product lifespan of the full size iPod these last few years, updates only seem to come about once a year. Since the college iPod deal is coming, people will opt to pay the bit more for Classics, so updates for new models wouldn't be beneficial to Apple. That promotion is good for getting rid of excess stock in preparation for new releases in time for the holiday season. So basically unless you want to wait half a year, you will not be hurting yourself by buying an iPod now.

As for the statement about the HDD of the iPods, i agree. The benefits of a more expandable library outweigh any minor risks of slightly less reliable hardware. Hard drives fail, but they break prematurely mainly when they are simply abused during use in very active sports, etc. For the average user, even light exercise is fine with them. Plus you get a better battery life out of the Classic.

Either iPod choice is great, but I prefer the Classic overall.

iTeen
Mar 19, 2008, 10:50 PM
Get the ipod touch...you will be soo much happier.

Michael CM1
Mar 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
I got an iPod w/Video 30GB more than 2 years ago just after they were released. It's still working fine (slight issue with volume going wonky every now and then) and haven't had any issues with the hard drive. I have dropped it on the concrete at least once or twice and just have minor scratches on the case.

The basic benefits are this:

Classic: more storage space, cheapest iPod per GB
Touch: touch screen controls, WiFi, all the apps, longer battery life (I think)

My dad is about the same age as you, and I don't know how easily he would learn an iPod Touch/iPhone. I'll be finding out soon when I get my iPhone, but that's one thing you should definitely check out. Go test them out. If you can't figure out how to do the basics on one or the other, I'd stay away from it.

joytime365
Mar 20, 2008, 01:14 AM
Get the ipod touch...you will be soo much happier.

I agree you should get a ipod touch, they are nice you will like it. And I got to know from a coupon (http://www.***************/searchdeals.php?deal_id=58800&ru=282) that apple store is offering a sale on the iPod touch starts from $299, you can go and have a look there.