PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Icarus Effect

MacBytes
Mar 18, 2008, 09:42 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple's Icarus Effect
(http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080318104250)
Description:: I think not.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

sunfast
Mar 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
The classic "nobody writes viruses for macs because nobody uses macs" argument.

Have mac virus reports genuinely been increasing in frequency?

dukeblue91
Mar 18, 2008, 10:05 AM
The classic "nobody writes viruses for macs because nobody uses macs" argument.

Have mac virus reports genuinely been increasing in frequency?

Hell no!
There is still not one virus out on OSX this guy is just full of FUD.
What an idiot.

Vikz
Mar 18, 2008, 10:21 AM
well there still no viruses on our macs, but the first mac trojan was spread through macrumors sometime ago soo maybe in time someone will write one

iBlue
Mar 18, 2008, 10:25 AM
well there still no viruses on our macs, but the first mac trojan was spread through macrumors sometime ago soo maybe in time someone will write one

That wasn't spread through macrumors. Hell, it wasn't even a trojan. It was a bit of malware someone wrote that required user interaction to work. That was just FUD too.

aranhamo
Mar 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
required user interaction to work.

That's what a trojan is

iBlue
Mar 18, 2008, 10:30 AM
That's what a trojan is
yeah my bad. :o (my brain was thinking virus and I knew that didn't look right as I hit reply. you just busted me before I could edit.)

bretm
Mar 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
People had no qualms about writing os9 viruses when marketshare was 3% at best. Why have they seemingly given up now? :)

iAthena
Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 AM
People had no qualms about writing os9 viruses when marketshare was 3% at best. Why have they seemingly given up now? :)

I don't know, but I'm certainly grateful.

RedTomato
Mar 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
The first hacker to write a decent OSX virus will be insanely famous. His/her name will live on in history for the next decade.

They've been trying for years to get one to take off. None so far, but the first one could be tomorrow. So exercise basic caution and don't be foolhardy. Don't type in commands or click on things that you don't know what they do.

If you're worried, you can always type rm-rf * in Terminal to *really* virus-proof your OS.

bluedevil97
Mar 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
My main issue with this article is that he compares hacking the iPhone to writing viruses. People have been "hacking" macs for ever. People who like a machine/os/product will hack it to make it suit their needs even more. Writing software to let me do more with a product isn't a bad thing, and to be honest I don't think Apple really hates it - it shows people love the product.

It is really comparing Apples and Oranges to compare benign hacks and viruses.

inkswamp
Mar 18, 2008, 11:37 AM

Exactly! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one noticing that little discrepancy in the market share argument.

I write a tech column for a business magazine as well as a tech blog for the local newspaper. I sat down one day and wrote up everything that debunks this market share nonsense: Setting the virus record straight: debunking the market share myth (http://blogs.bellinghamherald.com/index.php?blog=14&title=setting_the_computer_virus_record_straig&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1). That fact that OS 9 had viruses yet less market share than OS X one of many points that I made.

(EDIT: I know this seems like shameless self-promotion to post a link, but I wrote that article in the hopes that people could use it to quickly and efficiently debunk this argument. The market share argument has always been one of my pet peeves because it's cited so widely without any kind of evidence to back it up. It's one of those "common sense" assumptions that doesn't pass the common sense test when you actually take a closer look at it. Just wanted to pass the link around to more people who might want to use it.)

big_malk
Mar 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
"Welcome to Microsoft's world"? I think not :)

I've yet to find an article that talks about there being viruses for Mac, which isn't immediately taken apart and ridiculed by "Apple fan boys", and general people with common sense ;)

It can't be denied that as OS X gains more market share, it'll become more attractive to spyware and viruses etc., but to say the main reason there were no viruses is because it's small market share, is stupid. Wouldn't the hackers who want fame, get it, if they were the first to hack the Mac? Wouldn't it be like the holly grail?

And seeing as many Mac users don't bother with anti-virus software, because they don't need it, a Mac virus would surely spread like wild fire!?

P.S. The 30% revenue sharing to distribute apps did strike me as being a bit steep, but from what I've heard from people who know more about it than me, it's actually a good deal!

jephrey
Mar 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
What the hell. 70%-30% is awesome! Especially because you get such a great marketplace for your app. It does put the IV drip in place, but without this, only the well known app makers would be able to get the word out about their software because marketing is an up front cost, and much more than 30% off the bat. This gives ALL programmers an equal chance. I don't like the article.

EagerDragon
Mar 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sooner or later there will be. For now no. This is common sense, nothing is ever perfect, the fact that this idiot just discovered that fact of life makes me wonder about his intelligence and credibility.

I wonder why he did not mention Solaris, Linux, AIX, BSD and others?

ppnkg
Mar 18, 2008, 02:42 PM
Sheer idiocy. Guy heard about the Icarus story and wanted to use it somehow. The rest of the piece is trash, the usual story.

Let me tell you another story, about 'broken windows'. This comes not from greek mythology but from modern criminology. More or less the idea goes like this: suppose you have a house, with broken windows, uncut grass, signs of neglect. If you don't care and leave it in this condition it will attract more vandalism, somebody will break another window, do some graffiti and so on. So broken windows will bring more windows etc.

The moral: Windows sucks so much that it's actually a real challenge to people: yeah it sucks, but how much exactly? How worse can it get? Let's write a virus etc and see! Can it really be destroyed completely?

:eek:

mountainbiker80
Mar 18, 2008, 04:29 PM
Sheer idiocy. Guy heard about the Icarus story and wanted to use it somehow. The rest of the piece is trash, the usual story.

Let me tell you another story, about 'broken windows'. This comes not from greek mythology but from modern criminology. More or less the idea goes like this: suppose you have a house, with broken windows, uncut grass, signs of neglect. If you don't care and leave it in this condition it will attract more vandalism, somebody will break another window, do some graffiti and so on. So broken windows will bring more windows etc.

The moral: Windows sucks so much that it's actually a real challenge to people: yeah it sucks, but how much exactly? How worse can it get? Let's write a virus etc and see! Can it really be destroyed completely?

:eek:

Shhhh. ;) My job wouldn't exist if we ran OS X Server. We wouldn't have to have an IT person on hand to fix all the Windows boxes and Windows servers.

inkswamp
Mar 18, 2008, 07:20 PM
Help me digg this up (http://digg.com/apple/The_Daedalus_who_cried_wolf). I just did a little research and found out that Mr. Kay is not a security expert at all, but rather a technology business strategist. So WTF is he writing with such an authoritative tone about OS X security in Business Week for?

Hard not to think that maybe someone has him shilling for Apple's competitors and spreading FUD about the Mac and the iPhone. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened in the tech industry. :mad:

SPUY767
Mar 19, 2008, 07:23 AM
Help me digg this up (http://digg.com/apple/The_Daedalus_who_cried_wolf). I just did a little research and found out that Mr. Kay is not a security expert at all, but rather a technology business strategist. So WTF is he writing with such an authoritative tone about OS X security in Business Week for?

Hard not to think that maybe someone has him shilling for Apple's competitors and spreading FUD about the Mac and the iPhone. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened in the tech industry. :mad:

I helped. Alas, I appear to be the only one.

Tosser
Mar 19, 2008, 11:03 AM

Yup. And that theory goes by the name of (sit down and steady yourself) the "Broken Windows Theory"

For anyone not familiar with it:

http://www.brokenwindows.com/windows_theory.html

inkswamp
Mar 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
I helped. Alas, I appear to be the only one.

Thanks anyway. It's almost impossible to get something on Digg anymore. So much stuff is cycling through there that your story basically disappears after 10 minutes. Would appear that I need about 1000+ contacts on Digg to get something on there. :rolleyes:

Oh well. I thought it was important to point out who this guy was and what his motivations likely were for writing such a stupid piece about Apple like that.