Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
I have the newest non-wireless keyboard Apple makes that came with my G5. I want to use a switch so I can use my PC and G5 off the same keyboard and monitor. I plugged the keyboard into the PC and it didn't work. Does anyone know if there are drivers anywere so my Win98 machine can see the keyboard? Thanks.

T.Rex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto, ON
I dunno about drivers for Win98, but I plugged my apple keyboard into my comp running XP and it detected it instantly as an "Apple Keyboard", installed the drivers and I was typing on it in under 15 seconds - who says Microsoft is completely incompetant?

My guess if it doesn't work out of the box with Win98, it never will :(. XP is probably the only Windows OS that supports it.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
98 was decent back in the day, but now it is so old, nothing is supported on it. if you plan on keeping your pc around for awhile, i would reccomend an upgrade to xp.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
98, or 98SE?

Is it Windows 98, or Windows 98 SE ? I think SE has better USB support, and I think I've used an Apple Keyboard with it (I won't swear to it, though) I do know that windows 2000 and XP do recognise it immediately.

An alternative is to get a third party keyboard (Microsoft actually has someone decent making their rebranded keyboards, at least for the "ergonomic" ones... and those will work on either system easily.)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
yeah, I have a KVM switch for my PC and G5 and the keyboard works great on XP, in fact the volume and mute keys even work, I love it.

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
yeah, I have a KVM switch for my PC and G5 and the keyboard works great on XP, in fact the volume and mute keys even work, I love it.

Which KVM do you use? I've recently ordered a PowerBook and I'd like to share a mouse & keyboard with a PC (much like your setup).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.