Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KateSchechter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Help! My 23" cinema display got "sprayed" by a mysterious substance (OK, a cat got to it, don't even ask). I cleaned the LCD surface itself with a microfiber cloth and water, no problems there.

My problem is that some of the liquid (aka PEE) has gotten down in between the LCD and the plastic surround on the bottom (is this the bezel?)

Is there a way of cleaning this, i.e. opening the case and cleaning the residue? I tried wetting the edge of a piece of paper and wicking out the liquid, but that didn't work.

Any of you technicians out there have any advice? Have searched all over. If safe, I'd rather do this myself, cleaning it with alcohol -- It'll be pretty embarrassing to have to take this thing in to a service department and have to explain how it managed to get pissed on! Plus I'd be out a monitor and unproductive in the meantime.

The following is not at all related to my query, but for the record: I absolutely LOVE this display, which I got to replace dual 17" CRTs. If you're wondering about getting one DO IT TODAY!

I have to use a PC for one app that opens up about a million windows, so I've been using it via Win XP's Remote Desktop Connection. I also just set up the new version of Virtual PC as well, which seems to be a bit slower. Running Panther on a dual 1 GHz G4, 1 GB RAM. God I love this machine!

Anna

macrumors regular
May 25, 2003
Australia
I would not even consider doing it myself...who cares about being embarrased...you are the one who is paying them... i am sure they have heard worse. Also doing that yourself will void the warranty

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
You need a new screen saver/background image :D

Attachments

• fpmeandog.jpg
    fpmeandog.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 982

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Your cat must really hate you

mine used to just jump onto my CRT and lay there.

never peed on it tough

LOL ... i can't even conceive how your cat went about doing this

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
You can remove the plastic enclosure, to get at the LCD panel itself, however you risk damage to the panel.

If you are asking for technical assistance, then that's a good warning sign that you should take this to someone with experience in repair. Trust me, they've cleaned worse.

-Wyrm

KateSchechter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Wyrm, Tim and all,
Thanks. I bow to the collective wisdom and will take it in. Wyrm, your desktop suggestion is hysterical! So, do you think my using Marine Aquarium as a screen saver may have been a factor in this? :)

Actually, I'm comfortable working on the various computers I've got. My question on technical guidance was more towards how much pressure and where to apply: you know how it can be with plastic pieces that are snapped together. If you don't know how exactly they're put together you can snap 'em. Was hoping someone had taken one apart and could share the experience. All it needs is for the front plastic panel to be wiped off from the inside. But I'll take it in and eat the cost.

Thanks for the help. Have enjoyed reading the boards for a long time, never had to ask a Q before.

KS

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I agree with others, you are very wise to take your beautiful 23" Cinema Display into a professional. Good luck, I hope that the problem can be fixed effectively.

If a cat is like a dog, then yes the Marine Acquarium may have been a reason. It is very realistic looking and cats like fish. The cat spraying your display may have been out of frustration or to stake out its's territory.

kemper durand

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2004
cleaning cat pee from inside a 20" cinema display

Well, I too have just had this unpleasant experience. I thought I was the only one cursed with this misfortune until I "googled" this forum.

I would have lived with the cat pee inside the bezel, but the on-off proximity button started to automatically shut down my mac after about 1 1/2 weeks inside. Fermenting. Etching the metal. Turning black.

I could not even start up to use the proxity-switch disabling trick (hold down command-shift when you choose displays inside system preferences. A secret new tab will appear, allowing you to disable both monitor proximity switches)

I needed the monitor for immediate work use, and could not afford to wait for a repair, so I dove right in, using a 3/16" hex wrench (actually, a "Mac Cracker" from the Mac Plus years I still had laying around in the tool box!), a medium-sized slotted screwdriver, and a T8 torx. All of this is available at Radio Shack, or a good hardware store.

I used the T8 on the 3 small hex screws holding the stand in place. I don't know the actual size of the hex screws, but the T8 torx fit perfectly. Remove the stand from the cable. No problem.

Congratulations, you just broke your warranty!

Use the 3/16" hex on all of the outer screws. The back will easily lift off, revealing the insides. Remove the back from the cable. Use the slotted screwdriver to GENTLY pry the front bezel off of the inside. There are 12 tabs to pop.

Once the front bezel is off, start cleaning! I used windex and a soft paper towel. Yuck. You'll have the front bezel, a bezel liner, and the "guts" of the monitor to clean. Also, I used 2x2" pieces of paper to fit into the very tight space between the screen and outer metal frame to remove as much pee from inside as possible.

Once the bezel and "guts" are clean, you may want to check the proxity switch. Mine was flooded with crystalized gunk, which was shorting out the switch. There are two phillips head screws to remove, one on the switch itself, one on the cable in the back to give the switch some play. Clean. Also, you can pry off the white button - it's held on by some low-tack adhesive - and clean the inside of it, too.

Replace everything in the order you removed it. Note there are two tabs in the bottom of the bront bezel that fit into the bottom of the back bezel. Tighten all of the screws around the outside back bezel GENTLY and sequentially, gradually tightening all the way. Take care the front and back bezels pop back together.

So, repair complete, no waiting for Apple or a repair shop, and a like-new, de-smellified monitor!

Good luck!

kemper durand ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.