PDA

View Full Version : manic G5

jeremyk
Nov 3, 2003, 01:13 PM
I'm working with a new dual G5, currently on OS 10.2, and it has been acting rather strangely. Three times in the last week I have left the room for a few minutes while it's been on (having only been on for 20-30 minutes prior), and I come back to find it in an odd cycle.

The fan is whirring on high, then it makes a clicking sound, as if it is turning itself off. The monitor goes off, and the fan stops--but within a few seconds, it has clicked back on, turned the monitor on, and the applications still appear where they were before the 'episode'. This repeats again and again until I shut the whole thing off. I'm not sure whether the computer is actually turning itself off, since the applications haven't closed when it comes on again.

Someone suggested that Panther might fix this glitch (and I have it on order), but I'm wondering whether this may be a hardware problem. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Makosuke
Nov 3, 2003, 03:57 PM
If anything, it sounds like the computer is overheating--that would explain the fans on high, and the blinking out might be it putting itself to sleep to cool off and/or cool the graphics card down.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, unless you've installed some 3rd party utilities, in which case re-installing the OS before you send your G5 in for service might be worth a try.

Also try running the Hardware Check CD that came with the computer, which might tell you something.

Rezet
Nov 3, 2003, 04:31 PM
#1 Monitor problems. If you are using an ANALOG type of a monitor connected though analog>DVI converter. All kind of monitor problems may occur depending on a video card you are using. Mine wouldn't even turn on at times.
Solution: Will have to get Apple or any monitor that supports DVI directly.

#2 Fan noise. Did your computer go to sleep while you were out? If so, it is normal for dual processors to get the hot airt out of teh case for up to a minute after you wake it up (depending on programs running).
Don't forget one thing, dual G5s have an extra big fan for a second processor. Both processor fans spin much faster for dual than fan of 1.6 G5. So at normal stage, Dual makes more noise than 1.6 and 1.8.
And when fans speed up, you will be more sensitive to the noise, ofcourse.

#3 3rd party software. If you have certain optimization programs or disk/processor utilities, they may do things on their own schedule. So check the settings.

#4 Check energy saver settings.

#5 Clicking soud at start up and sometimes at shutdown is coming from the int. speaker. When OS starts up, if you put the volume on high you will hear clicks coming from speakers as well.
While I'm not sure what it is for, I suspect it may be a sound card test.

Try reinstalling the system... if problem continues to occur. Believe it or not things can go wrong even on a mac. :)
Then you can give panther a shot, as it was designed for G5's in mind.