PDA

View Full Version : eMac external microphone proble

feckweed
Nov 3, 2003, 02:09 PM
Hello!

I have an 1 GHz eMac I use at home and I like to use voice recognition software for answering e-mail, etc. The eMac is designed so that you do not have to use USB microphones, etc. I have a regular (non-USB) plug headset that works fine on another computer at work. When I plug in the headphones part (output) to the eMac it switches fine to the headphones and I can hear through them. When I plug in the line-in part it does not recognize the microphone part and stays with the internal mic. When I switch it myself in systems prefs it switches but does not hear the mic. When take a plug from a tape recorder and plug it into the line-in on the eMac it works (i.e., eMac recognizes that input). So it is not the headset and not the jack, any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks much!!

crazzyeddie
Nov 3, 2003, 02:40 PM
Macs are meant to accept pre-amplified sound, from powered mics. You might have to buy a USB sound-in solution.

Basically, that sound in port is only useful for mics with their own amps, CD players, etc, something with its own power.

feckweed
Nov 3, 2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks so much for the reply! I understand now (that I will have to sink $50 into a USB microphone or adapter).....THANKS AGAIN!