Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
I have just recently made a new blog but it looks a little lame and boring. So I was wondering if any of you could design some kind of icon for my background, or mabye even a whole template. Anything you give me would be greatly appreciated. Here is my site. http://www.gadgetsandtech.wordpress.com

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
I have just recently made a new blog but it looks a little lame and boring. So I was wondering if any of you could design some kind of icon for my background, or mabye even a whole template. Anything you give me would be greatly appreciated. Here is my site. http://www.gadgetsandtech.wordpress.com
I would love to, but as this is a wordpress.com account you cannot upload your own theme.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007

I'm also thinking about getting a domain name soon.

I heard that there is no way to get a custom template on wordpress. Is this true? Can you gbuy somekind of add on or something so they would let you make a custom template?

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005

I'm also thinking about getting a domain name soon.

I heard that there is no way to get a custom template on wordpress. Is this true? Can you gbuy somekind of add on or something so they would let you make a custom template?

Good god man. If you want free templates, download one of the thousands that are available out there. Use Google.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Looking for someone to make an image for the top of my blog

I started a blog and it's doing very well but I would just like to customize it a little bit. My blog is here. And I was looking for something kind of like they have on this site. Just something that would show what the blog is about. Anything that you give me will be great.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I could whip something up for you, all I ask is that you put my blog on your blog roll. :p I'll read your blog and see what I can come up with.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I think you misunderstood the way wordpress works.
There are 2 ways:

-Wordpress.com account
-Wordpress on your own server

If you want themes, you need number 2. When choosing a hosting compagny, make sure it supports everything wordpress needs (php, databases)

You can choose a template (there are hundreds of websites giving them away for free) or completely create the theme from ground up (see mine in my sig (click on blog)). If you want something similar, PM me and I could help you.

Good luck with your blog, I highly suggest you move to your own server.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Would "on your own server" mean having your own domain or something like doing it though GoDaddy?

ajchapinjr.com

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Yes, that's exactly what it would require.

My recommendation would be to get a domain name through name.com ($5.99 a year) and find a free non-ad host, like 000webhost.com . I have used this combo to create numerous Wordpress domains.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
So, all I would need to do is get a domain name and I can make my blog alot better by beening able to edit templates?

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Another question, If I get a domain name would I be able to put HTML and code into the side bars? Because I can do that right now, which I think is kind if lame.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Another question, If I get a domain name would I be able to put HTML and code into the side bars? Because I can do that right now, which I think is kind if lame.

The point isn't the domain, it's having your own hosted server. You need a server to host your blog that has php and mysql. You install wordpress content management system on the database.

You can buy a domain for about $6, and it will allow users to point their browsers to you blog, but a domain in and of itself doesn't mean you have a site.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
The point isn't the domain, it's having your own hosted server. You need a server to host your blog that has php and mysql. You install wordpress content management system on the database.

You can buy a domain for about $6, and it will allow users to point their browsers to you blog, but a domain in and of itself doesn't mean you have a site.

How much does it generally cost to get your own hosted server?

JEB229

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Godaddys cheapest is 4.95 a month. I personally used StartLogic and it ran me 150$ for 2 years of hosting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.