Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Howdy,

I am a soon to be switcher, and can't wait to have a mac. Here is my situation, and I ask those of you with expertise on the subject give me your opinion. I would like to buy a 15 inch powerbook, but i don't know whether to get a used one or a new one. I have heard of all the problems with the new ones, and that the previous generation was excellent. So should I buy a new one ($1800 through school), or a used one from ebay (~$1400). I can just barely afford a new one. Would the performance be that different between say a 800-867 and a new 1Ghz? What should I look for? I will be doing some photoshop, but not heavily, would 512 MB of RAM do the job?

this is an example of what I've been looking at on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762244977&category=14909

Anna

macrumors regular
May 25, 2003
Australia
Definately new...you will have the full warranty, graphics card is better, processor speed is better and apple have fixed all the flaws of the previous model in this one. Also in the newer model, there is no scratching of the screen when the lid is closed

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Just remember that you're more likely to hear the problems than the good stories with the new PowerBooks. Chances are you'll get a perfect machine, if not, you can take it back. The old TiBook seems to have a heavy following, hence the advice that points in that direction. However, apparently the paint is easily chipped and the keyboard can leave an imprint on the screen.

I have a new PB 12" and have had no problems whatsoever with. Perfect machine. The new PB you're after is only $400 more. For that you get a faster processor, newer memory and architecture, much better video card and more durable design, not to mention Airport Extreme, FireWire 800 and built-in bluetooth. I'd go with that if I were you - you get a lot more for the relatively small amount extra to pay.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Thanks you guys!

After seeing some of the final prices on these ebay auctions I've realized it's way too much to spend on a used laptop. I guess it's a good thing if i ever decide to sell. Now I just need to figure out if i should order now with a 10-15 day wait or just buy it in a couple of weeks.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
dude

check macmall

they're still selling TiBooks in there Special deals section.

"Titanium PowerBook G4 867MHz DVI Combo (DVD/CD-RW) System Only
867MHz PowerPC G4, 256MB SDRAM, 40GB Ultra ATA Drive, Slot Load Combo (DVD/CD-RW), 56K Modem, 15.2 Mega Wide Screen, Gigabit Ethernet, DVI video out, Two USB Ports, One FireWire Port, Mac OS X/9.1"

for $1629

my dad just picked up the Ghz for just over 2G!

btw- why are you not interested in the ibook? although, a second display would come in handy for photoshop!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
But isn't that expensive, given that the new Albook 1GHz is $1800 (education) with all of that plus extra 20GB HD, AE, FW 800, Bluetooth built in, faster RAM, faster proc, much better graphics card?

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
well the Ti didn't have airport extreme, firewire 800, nor USB 2, had older ram (not DDR i believe) and a different cache setup.

aside from a slower graphics card, and less expandability in ram, as well as no bluetooth

also the old ones had problems with keyboard markings on the screen if you really want to nit pick :rolleyes: :D ;)

the new ones can be ordered with illuminating keyboard, thats enough to make me want a new one :D :rolleyes:

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
I need the 15inch screen, plus I don't need it to be as portable as most would. I used to use an iBook every day (a couple of years ago) and really liked it, but found myself needing more screen space. I will be hooking this up to a second monitor, so hopefully i will have enough desktop room;)

Thanks for the Posts!

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
But isn't that expensive, given that the new Albook 1GHz is $1800 (education) with all of that plus extra 20GB HD, AE, FW 800, Bluetooth built in, faster RAM, faster proc, much better graphics card?

TiBooks are still pricey...some people like them better than the AlBooks. And now with the 15in Al screen blotches and kernal panics it may not be a good setup for a switcher (like my dad). I have a TiPB and i think he really just wants one like mine. :)

can you blame him? ;)

I see TiBooks selling for way over 2G's on e-bay all the time. I wonder if I should have just sold him mine and went ahead and got a refurb 17???

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
If the new Al PBs have problems, should'nt you just wait it out till Apple fixes it? I mean who in their right mind would drop that much money on old tech? Oh wait, I take that back, some people do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.